New tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Often it will depend on what they are housed with, and the location of the aquarium.

They can be pretty skittish, and don't feel too secure if nothing small is swimming toward the waters surface.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Well, I got home today to find the injured cory dead. Along with him was a neon and one of the red neon rainbows. I'm starting to feel like the grim reaper over here. The odd thing is there's not a trace of ammonia in the tank. I'm starting to wonder if my test kit is trustworthy.

I tore the tank apart and still have not been able to find the body of the little black molly. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with all the deaths recently for no reason that I can find.

While I was tearing apart the tank, I got the Eheim canister set up. I took the AC 20 off and transferred the bio-media to the canister, so hopefully there shouldn't be an issue with the cycle. There is a TON of flow for such a little tank though, so I'm going to have to make a spray bar.

Hopefully things settle down and fish stop dying on me. I don't remember having this much trouble stabilizing a tank before.

Edit to add: I still haven't been able to get a half-way decent picture of the red neon rainbows. They never are still long enough. Here's a link to a page with some pics of what they look like: https://aquaticarts.com/products/red-neon-blue-eye-rainbowfish

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would probably suggest getting a second opinion on your test results, just in case. I cannot remember if it was new or not, but contacting the manufacturer will let you know if it was maybe a bad batch, or if they have any tips to ensure it's working correctly. I know MARS are great with API test kits, for example.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Ahh those guys. They are beautiful, been looking for some myself.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Remember,

if you're looking for the fish, they are now classified as Red Neon Blue Eyes, not Rainbows.

Pseudomugil have been classified as their own genus now,

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That's good info, thanks! I may just stop in and pick up a new test kit to test against the old one. The kit I have was not new, it came with the tank. I have no idea how old it may be.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if there are lot numbers on it, or expiration dates, give them a quick look (lot numbers can normally be decoded to see when they expire)

Or just take a sample to the pet store, most all will test for free, even if stript, it should be enough to test for ammonia and nitrite,

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Ok... things seem to be back on track. I picked up a new ammonia test kit, and have had no further deaths. Everyone seems to be active and healthy!

I checked out an internet vendor thanks to a recommendation from a fellow member here, and have ordered a school of 12 of the blue-eyed red neons. I can't wait for them to come in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store