New tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
Looks great. 29's are a nice size. You cycled the tank before adding fish hopefully? You've got a means to measure water parameters?
Whats cycled? water parameters? is that like the PH in the water im a noob to fish keeping i just bought these and set em up yestrday as best as i could

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Whats cycled? water parameters? is that like the PH in the water im a noob to fish keeping i just bought these and set em up yestrday as best as i could
Nitrogen cycle. Your tank needs to have this established to process the constant supply of fish waste or your fish will die relatively quickly. You can do a fish-in cycle, but you've got your work cut out for you now. Constant water parameter testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and daily water changes will be required. Read up on fishless cycling, fish-in cycling, or nitrogen cycle. Don't worry about pH. Good luck. Many of us started out this way at some point!!

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
Nitrogen cycle. Your tank needs to have this established to process the constant supply of fish waste or your fish will die relatively quickly. You can do a fish-in cycle, but you've got your work cut out for you now. Constant water parameter testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and daily water changes will be required. Read up on fishless cycling, fish-in cycling, or nitrogen cycle. Don't worry about pH. Good luck. Many of us started out this way at some point!!
How do i get nitrogen in the tank? How do i do a (fish-in cycle) and how do i test for ammonia and nitrite, nitrate? will i be able to learn this from looking up vids on youtube or where?

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
without doing anything they probably won't last a week at the longest. But I've seen stranger things. It's deffinetly not a healthy thing for the fish.

mudangel

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
St. Clairsville, Ohio
Real Name
Travis
You might want to get a bottle of that bacteria starter. I've never used it, but I've heard good things. Can't hurt, might help get the cycle started quicker with less stress on the fish.

Sent from my AT300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
without doing anything they probably won't last a week at the longest. But I've seen stranger things. It's deffinetly not a healthy thing for the fish.
oh is there a video anywhere of how to cycle a tank i dont want to read that whole page

mudangel

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
St. Clairsville, Ohio
Real Name
Travis
oh is there a video anywhere of how to cycle a tank i dont want to read that whole page
If you're going to keep fish, you have a certain responsibility to learn how to do it in a manner that will keep them healthy. This may involve some reading.

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
If you're going to keep fish, you have a certain responsibility to learn how to do it in a manner that will keep them healthy. This may involve some reading.

any shorter information like more simple than all of what ever they were saying in the other post i didnt understand it

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store