New tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
the previous link goes into more detail and safer alternatives. since you already have fish in the tank, you can either return them or perform more maintenance on the tank to keep your fish healthy.

and i second that post about it being an earth eater instead of a jack

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
here ya go. and don't mind us fish people being blunt and sounding mean :)

http://www.petco.com/caresheets/fish/NitrogenCycle.pdf
Oh hell no. You have to know the job is dangerous before you take it. LOL.

If someone has time to read and post on this forum, they can take a few minutes to read up on properly setting up and maintaining a tank. It's a few minutes and some simple steps.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
that's the thing, people don't know

keep in mind, these are fish. the average person only knows that fish are lowly beings that live in water for 1 week to a few months. If you manage to convince a person that fish require care and deserve to be treated as pets, the chemistry of a tank/cycle takes a minute to grasp. Diving into Rbishop's thread is overwhelming if you haven't built a base of knowledge. And when you're new and want to find out what you're doing wrong/what to do, helpful comments and simple instruction go a long way.

all that said, your comments do help and are sometimes necessary to light a fire under their butts so they take action asap

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
the previous link goes into more detail and safer alternatives. since you already have fish in the tank, you can either return them or perform more maintenance on the tank to keep your fish healthy.

and i second that post about it being an earth eater instead of a jack
i honestly have no idea what they are saying in the link i just dont get it :p il just leave the fish in there and see what goes down

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
i honestly have no idea what they are saying in the link i just dont get it :p il just leave the fish in there and see what goes down
we need more fire and brimstone, freshyfresh!

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013

If someone has time to read and post on this forum, they can take a few minutes to read up on properly setting up and maintaining a tank. It's a few minutes and some simple steps.
I keep reptiles and tarantulas more i know keeping fish isnt dangerous LOL :p its probally just challanging to keep the water ok for them or what ever. I dont understand what they are saying to do im just keeping these fish to entertain my lizards

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
whats brimstone? i have no idea what your trying to quote lol
quoting the bible lol.

and all you need to do to keep the fish safe: 1. test the water and water change to keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as possible. below .25 ppm is ideal. 2. get some bacteria in the tank to perform task 1 for you. get some filter media or gravel from a friend's tank. sweet talk a petstore person into giving you gravel. buy a bottle of the stuff. 3. if your fish make it through the cycle/establishment of the tank's ecosystem, you're in the clear and only need to perform weekly or so water changes. 4. try to treat the fish as well as you would your other critters. you wouldn't let them live in toxic air, right?

Zosime

AC Members
Mar 21, 2013
quoting the bible lol.

and all you need to do to keep the fish safe: 1. test the water and water change to keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as possible. below .25 ppm is ideal. 2. get some bacteria in the tank to perform task 1 for you. get some filter media or gravel from a friend's tank. sweet talk a petstore person into giving you gravel. buy a bottle of the stuff. 3. if your fish make it through the cycle/establishment of the tank's ecosystem, you're in the clear and only need to perform weekly or so water changes. 4. try to treat the fish as well as you would your other critters. you wouldn't let them live in toxic air, right?
Athiest here dont know anything about the bible. How do i test the water?or what do i need to test the water? Ok so #2 i can get some gravel but how much just a little bit or alot? Why do i need to change the water so often and how would i do it just get a bucket and take half out and put new water in? Uh well they kind of do breath some toxic air i guess lol i hot box my room daily and my lizards get stoned af but they in good health

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store