New Tanks!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeeDeeK

Seeker of Piscean Wisdom
Apr 10, 2009
San Francisco
I've wanted micropoecilia fishes and never thought just to look in aquabid! Duh! Glad you mentioned it Platytudes!

I used a 5000K 23w Satco brand CFL and a 4100K 23w Satco CFL, in 10" parabolic, clip-on workshop reflector lamps to light the shot. I've started using Satco 4100K CFLs exclusively because I like the color rendering more (not saying it's closer to the color rendering of natural light, just that I like it). Seems to me that red and blue are fine and green less fine for plant growth but essentially if your eyes can see it, chlorophyll can use that light for photosynthesis. Green wavelengths seem to be about 1/7th as useful to chlorophyll but they're still useful. Hmmm.

All these darn "Daylight Balance" bulbs, as I've said before, do not emit light with the same color balance (as in proportion of red to green to blue, like what you can adjust in photoshop) but rather emit a spectrum which, when a curve is derived from and graphed, that curve (NOT the actual spectrum) approximates the curve you would derive from an ideal light emitting body of whatever color temperature the bulb boasts of being.

Color temperature does not equate to color balance! NO NO NO!!!!!

OK, rant over, Thanks for kudos on color of tank lighting!

I'm attaching photos taken over the last two days of my aquariums.

img_4985.jpg img_5059.jpg img_5061.jpg img_5047.jpg img_5006.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Heh! I love it...you're like a mad scientist with all those clamp lights and wires ;) My surge protector almost looks like that, only it's hidden behind furniture most of the time.

My evaporation rate is terrible right now, I imagine yours must be as well with those open topped tanks! I leave the A/C at 85 degrees when I'm not home to save money. Topping off with tank water really increases the TDS, but it's not like it's very practical using distilled water....ugh. it's one more thing I don't like about summer :(

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
so how many candles and holders would it take...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store