New to planted tanks — substrate suggestions/opinions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Warning! val. spiralis is NOT the cute little 8-10 inch plant you want. The "spiralis" refers to the flowers or sepals or something, NOT the leaves. I believe 1 of my "jungle vals" may be that & 30++ inches tall. That's not the val your're looking for.

Corkscrew or Italian is really v. asiatica (asiana?), that's the cute val. I think there's a little 2 inch 1 too but don't really remember. I haven't seen it in years.

Reactions: apenhow

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Some of the varieties of spiralis arevdwarf, like Tortifolia and Leopard (in my experience) stay less than 8 or so inches, wild spiralis and other varieties get to be bigger..

So some v. Spiralis will work, just not most.

You might be able to use some of the shorter erio species too.

Reactions: apenhow

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
dougall, I've never had any luck with erios in non co2 tanks...have you? Not a challenge, we all know I'm lame at some plants...but I'm curious...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have, but I cannot think of the individual species off the top of my head, I will have to think or try to look them up.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Be a long time until I see my planty friends again, think harder, lol! Just in case I get another offer...anytime soon-ish...no hurry...Sorry OP for the distraction...but this is how we all learn...

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Warning! val. spiralis is NOT the cute little 8-10 inch plant you want. The "spiralis" refers to the flowers or sepals or something, NOT the leaves. I believe 1 of my "jungle vals" may be that & 30++ inches tall. That's not the val your're looking for.

Corkscrew or Italian is really v. asiatica (asiana?), that's the cute val. I think there's a little 2 inch 1 too but don't really remember. I haven't seen it in years.
My vals got to, let’s say 4 or so inches . There cute.

apenhow

AC Members
Nov 28, 2020
I've kind of been struggling to keep all the different species of plants and their conditions/sizes straight, so some of these options may not be the best for my tank. How do you guys keep track of everything?! ?

These are some of the plants I've been looking at instead of the Val torta:
Val Americana mini twister, val asiatica biwaensis (too large?), val leopard (said co2 is recommended, so not sure about this option), or vesuvius chain sword (not sure if the ph will be okay).

I also came across the red jungle vallisneria. I like the look of this one a lot! Modernaquarium.com said it gets to about 6-10 inches tall, but since it's a jungle val and also known as "Vallisneria Gigantea Rubra" I'm worried that means it actually gets really large?? Unless there are different versions I suppose. So that is also an option even though I am fairly sure it won't work with my little five gallon.

Thank you so much for sticking with me through my endless questions!! haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store