Newbie filter question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceLore

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2016
Hi all, new to the forum, just wanted to pop in and ask a quick newbie question. I haven't had any tanks in 10 or so years, but wanted to set up a little 10gal for my SO for Christmas. Not going to have anything major in there, just some female bettas. Anyway, which filter should I use - Marina Slim S15 or a Whisper 10?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you want to use a hang-on-back style filter, I'd recommend an AquaClear 30 for a 10g tank. I prefer aquaclears over any other because of their re-usable (rinse and re-use) sponge media and flexibility in using the bio media of your choice.

Love the idea of a small group of female bettas! They're a lot fun, with funny personalities.

Reactions: fishorama

IceLore

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2016
Thank you for your response! The Aquaclears are nice, but a bit more expensive than I'd like unfortunately. The whisper I have on hand, and there was a coupon for the Marina with the tank I bought, so I could pick it up for $7, that's why I was hoping to use one of those. lol

The tank will be sitting in a bookcase, so it's enclosed and will amplify the motor sounds, so I need something super quiet that will still get the job done. I know the Marina's motor is under the water, but it has mixed reviews. :/

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Expensive? I've seen them online lately for $25 shipped, all in and you basically never have to pay for replacement media.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The filter you want will depend on your location, and therefore what is cheap and not.

Using the Marina filter indicates, to me, that you're not in the US... So you might want to provide your location if you want to consider other options.

Personally I would worry about either being used due to the sound, but really worry about what will fit (I'm assuming the whisper is the internal filter?)

I would use the whisper for now, as you have it, and then if you decide you want to change for something else, you have more time to consider something else, potentially ore expensive. I would personally look into mattenfilters if you are worried about the amount of sound produced.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

IceLore

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2016
Dougall - I'm in the US. :) I'm not really concerned with looking at other options. I have a filter I know is pretty good, I was just wondering if the other one I saw was better (Marina) since it was easily available.

Freshy - I'm sure I could find it for a good price, but that's not really what I asked. I'm not looking to pay another $25 for no reason.

I just wanted opinions on these two filters if anyone knows anything about them and can give me their opinion. I'm sure there are better filters and worse, more expensive and cheaper ones as well. These are the two I have. Does anyone have an actual opinion on which is better???

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had a TopFin 30 on a 29g tank for about a year. It's a Whisper filter, rebadged for PetSmart. Like said, I didn't care for the cartridges or the thin foam pad intended for bio media. This was 3-4yrs ago. Perhaps the design is different now.

Reactions: IceLore

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Meh, a 10g only needs 1 filter IMO but I use 2 on 20g+. Is it a Whisper HOB? A bit undersized but with just a few betta girls, doable...I have no experience with internals so can't offer an opinion on them...seems like they'd take up a lot of room in a small tank...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There are lots of different criterea that will make something 'better'

my suggestion was to use what you have and see how it works (sounded like you could use the marina but would be buying it with a coupon first) and then look towards upgrading later if necessary.

One of my most important things here would be the amount of noise, especially in a small space, the amount of filtration can be picked up with extra maintenance esp. gravel vacuuming and water chsnges, just be sure you have enough water flow for your fish.

And dont hate on suggestions for different filters, most herevare longer term fishkeepers, so long term reliabiluty is more important than the cost of the initial setup cost of a new aquarium.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another point to note is that internal filters cannot dissipate heat anywhere but in the tank, a HOB filter will heat the air too.

so pay attention to the heat requirements of the fish you want vs. the temperature of the room; I would expect water temperature to be a handful of degrees higher than ambient with an internal filter, especially with a closed lid. Maybe a couple of degrees above ambient eith a HOB.

your numbers will depend on lots of factors, airflow around the aquarium will be a big one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store