Newbie needs help with stock list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1212chris1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
frederick, maryland
Real Name
chris
Thanks to all for your input. It is most welcome. Since I posted my original question, I have done much more studying and have changed my list quite a bit. I have also doubled my filtration by adding a second filter identical to the one I already had. I also got my first look at a German Blue Ram and it now resides on my "gotta have me one of them little fellers" list. LOL

I'm still having trouble making up my mind, but I definitely want the dwarf Gourami and the German blue Ram...the others remain to be decided.

Currently, I'm considering the following:
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 German Blue Ram
6 Corys (either Pygmy or Panda)
6 to 8 Tetras (Leaning toward Lemons, but considering others such as black skirt, etc.)

If I settle on this scheme, I will start with the tetras, followed by barbs, gourami and the Ram going in last.

As usual, I welcome input, suggestions, critiques, etc.
Thanks again for the input so far.
german blue rams usaully arent as hardy as the bolivian rams which arent as colorful as the german blue rams!!!!!

if this is your 1st tank then i would recommend what you had above except switch in a bolivian ram for the german blue ram!!!!!

sorry to ruin your PSL~Perfect Stocking List:dance::dance::dance::headshake2::lipssealedsmilie:

sorry double post:(

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
some bronze cories, glowlight tetras, and some platinum hatchetfish would make a good combination.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I like your new list.
You do have a wide choice in a moderate school of tetras. I like Lemons, but also glowlights, serpaes, head & tail lights, cardinals, rummynoses - there's so much to choose from.
If you want a little "layering" in your tank, have a look at getting a few harlequin or copper rasboras, which will school in the upper part of your tank.

t2dxk0

AC Members
Jan 28, 2008
What I did in setting up my first 29 gallon was keep it real simple.

I invested in an excellent cannister filter.

30% weekly water changes.

The initial cycle was the hardest part. When ammonia was present it seemed to raise the Ph also. I would add a little Ph down following water changes.

Once I had detectable nitrates I slowly added up to 15 bloodfind and 5 cories over a couple of months

In the interest of keeping it simple for my first tank I stuck with just those 2 species.

The tetras rellly enjoy the company of their own species and are very active which means they are very pleasing to the eye. I would say more so than multiple species.

I chose the bloodfins again for simplicity, they have a reputation of being fairly hardy.

For my first tank I could not be more pleased, I wouldn't even consider adding a gourami or a larger centerpiece fish because the school of tetras is the centerpiece.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Be careful if you decide on Pygmy cories with a Bolivian ram. The ram might look at the pygmys as a snack (happened to me). However my blue ram doesnt bother them.

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
i would say get the german blue rams because they are much prettier. the bolivian rams are much duller in color

dorris

Replicator of Amazon streams
Aug 31, 2006
Tasmania, Australia.
tropical-fish-care.com
Real Name
Luke
Sorry, just have to say, that there is no such thing as a German Blue Ram. They are from the Amazon, Blue Rams, and for some reason when they were first brought to Europe, they came through Germany first, and somehow got stuck with this name German Blue Ram. Strange bit of trivia, but there you go.

Anyway, I love Blue Rams, and think a 30G tank is the smallest size I like to keep them in. There is enough room for 2 pairs, but their will be constant battles over territory. One pair is a good idea, or 2 females to one male.

I have just setup my old 30G and so far have added 7 Rummynose and 2 Cories. You can sneak a peak here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2762

I plan on getting either some Blue Rams or Cockatoo Apisto's if I can find some. The colors of the Cockatoos would go with the Rummynose I think. But then Rams are just amazingly gorgeous. Rams go really well with Cardinals btw. Oh how much I love that combo.

I would leave out the Gourami also, but you know that's just my preference as I possibly love the Amazon a bit too much.

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks again for all the input. Here is where things have sort of settled out. I now have the following in the 29:
7 Lemon Tetras
5 Black Skirt Tetra
2 Otos
4 Panda Corys
1 Bolivian Ram
2 Mystery Snails
5 Ghost shrimp

I also had a Blue Ram in there but he was a holy terror...constantly chasing and bullying all the other fish. He is now in time out in my QT. The fish store I bought him is going to allow me to trade him for something else. I'm thinking I will get another Bolivian. The one I have is much more colorful than I thought it would be and to me is actually prettier than the Blue...and about as docile as one could ask for in a community tank.

Any thoughts on this or any other suggestions? I may be getting close to the limit on stocking for this tank...at least according to Aqadvisor. Guess I may have to start another one. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store