Newbie Needs Reality Check - Buying First Tank (Acrylic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks. That is good news.

So it isn't my potential as a f i s h - keeper folks are worried about, but instead simply my artistic tastes. :):):):)

I asked my wife her opinion and she says the people here make a good point... can folks make some recommendations and then we'll decide. I have a local PetCo and WalMart and one local fish store.

Last edited:

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
This is really strange... whenever I type the word "***********", it shows up as all asterisks. See!?

f
i
s
h
-
k
e
e
p
e
r

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hi there,
I've beed told that one reason to use "natural" or any colour gravel is depending upon what kind of fish you have.
For example, some sites say neon tetras prefer dark gravel because that's what's in their native homes and the tiny, vulnerable fishies are wired to feel safer in it. And then some plecos are darker in "skin colour", and being bottom creatures they will want to "blend in" and camoflague a bit, so darker gravel may again make them feel safer. and here (http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/tetras/CardinalTetra.asp) it says cardinal tetras also like a dark subtrate to "bring out their colour"; whether that means incontrast, or if it does something to them on a biological level, I don't know.

I had my first fishie, a betta, with neon green gravel for about 2 years before the colour started to burn my retina, so go ahead and put blue in =) It'll get everyone all excited for a good long while. Also marbles, beach pebbles, whatever you guys find on holiday trips can go in. Here's an excellent article on what kinds of rocks and shells can safely go in : http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/aquascaping/rocks.shtml

I've secretly always wanted a full pirate ship/treasure chest tank a la Finding Nemo. LOL

in summary, see what kind of subtrate your potential tank mates prefer, if they don't care, then pick whatever you like =D

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Really? ***********. I wonder why that is. Some fish may like different colors of gravel better, but I still don't think it's necessary. In my experience, they'd be fine.

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks. My wife and I have a few weeks to think about the gravel... I've been looking at a lot of photos for ideas.

Ammonia

I do have one question about ammonia and tank cycling. I was looking at the idea of buying 100% pure ammonia. It looks like 5 drops per ten gallons to start.

But according to the SeaClear website (and any site discussing anything acrylic):

"Do not use scouring powders on the aquarium or cleaners that have ammonia or solvents."

I am assuming 15 drops is such a small amount it will not impact the aquarium? After all, ammonia is naturally occuring.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
They might have been talking about for cleaning, as in after the fish are in the tank and you clean the glass with those substances. Which wouldn't be a good idea.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
I posted some threads on what substrate to use too, and I have decided on using 3 types. I am into planted tanks so i want my plants to grow and be beautiful like this tank that full on inspires me...
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214603&page=4

I am setting up a 310 ltr tank now, and have put river sand, natural gravel and pool filter sand in(but blended it in and decided it will go in next tank-as its white.
My fry live in bright green gravel, cos thats what I had first.
My other 150ltr community tank has natural gravel in it, look at my gallery.

I have not any complaints from any of my fish-lol

I was reading up on getting the sand bed to be a biological filter in itself, so am going deep sand bed with layers of sand and gravel.
Means less water changes etc, as it will work as a filter.
If you are not adding plants, disregard all that. :)

When you are new you want a fun tank with bright colours etc. I have not read anything on fish preferences for gravel, nor has any shop mentioned it, was just a customers own preference.
Anyone else?

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
re: substrate --> I read on the internet, so obviously "it must be true" [/sarcasm]. =) Heck I'd be happy to know that they simply don't care, and then I can just buy them industrial silica sand for dirt cheap too ($5/80bs).

If I ever run an experiment putting patch of light gravel on one side and dark on the other, and see where the fish hang out, i'll let you know =P

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
The stand should arrive today. Now, I starting to think more about the fish...

OK, for a 30 gallon (36" long, 12" deep, 16" high) freshwater tank, initially without live plants but hopefully some low-light types later, what would be a good mix in the long run? I'd like to stock it on the light side to make maintenance easier.

Priorities:

1. Easy for beginner
2. Look good
3. Nothing too expensive until I know what I am doing, and I can buy locally

I'd like at least one schooling fish because I think they look cool all swimming together. I'd want at least some that hang out on the bottom. In general, I'd prefer a lot of smaller fish to a few large ones. And at the end I'd like at least 1 showpiece fish that really stands out.

My original plan was to start with 5 zebra danios (added very gradually after cycling), but my wife overuled that..she says they look boring to her. Maybe 3 cory catfish for the bottom?

This is my long term goal... short term, I plan to fo it very slowly over time, so I also have to think about when i add what fish.

jaredc

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Nashville
My original plan was to start with 5 zebra danios (added very gradually after cycling), but my wife overuled that..she says they look boring to her. Maybe 3 cory catfish for the bottom?
I wouldn't necessarily say the zebras are boring. More so hyperactive than anything. :) I have six zebras in my tank and they are constantly moving and swimming all over the tank. Plus they are a pretty hardy fish and I think a good choice to start off with (after properly cycling the tank of course).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store