Newbie Needs Reality Check - Buying First Tank (Acrylic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
kuhli loaches have always kind of freaked me out

bettas are really nice and super pretty and not actually aggressive little guys =)
your wife may find one of them + danios a good compromise?
Also super easy to keep alive.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Well most bettas are nice, some are mean though! Make sure you get a nice one and it should be fine. With kuhlis you also want to make sure they can burrow in the substrate pretty good (their favorite is sand).

grav

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Okay some of you are scaring me on the acrylic tanks. I'm ready to plunk down 250.00 on a Sea Clear 46g Bow front. My kids are out of the house and I don't have any pets except for my fish in my 55g tank, so no worries there. Could someone maybe define "easy to scratch." I mean am I going to scratch it simply by putting sand or gravel in the tank? How do the dedicated acrylic cleaners do?

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
I would definitely get that stand issue taken care of. If it is a defect you are putting your first rule (kids safety) at a possible risk.
As always, keep us updated.

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
Here is someone's experience with that 46 bowfront tank:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...935-46-bowfront-goldfish-grazing-project.html

Other than the light, he seemed to like it. I did not get my 30 gallon yet.

I e-mailed the manufacturer about the stand, but no reply yet. I sent them a photo with a bunch of playing cards in the gaps so they can tell what I was talking about. The right-front corner has a gap 4 playing cards deep between the top wood platform and the vertical corner support, so I don't see how it could help support weight.

I hope they respond soon because I don't want the project delayed...my work is going to get busy soon.

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
I just wanted to give everyone here an update on the stand....

It looks like I am dealing with some top-notch companies here.

Drs Foster & smith got the stand to me in less than 3 days, and offered me compensation right away when they heard it had some minor damage. I told them to wait until I heard from United Pet Group (Marineland) about my safety concern.

United Pet Group had me send them some photos of my concern. They responded they would test a new stand there and then send it to me. It'll take a few weeks, but I'd rather wait and do it right. I like that they will test it there first so I will be assured I won't get another stand with the same problem. Wow!

(By the way, I did a reality check with my wife and she had the same concern)

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
Hi there,
you may also want to join a local fish keeping community and buy a sponge/get a bucket of cycled water/and old filter pad/etc from someone to help cycle =) I heard they need to be within a 30 minute drive if you're borrowing germs
I found out two of my neighbors have fish tanks.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
It's great that the companies responded so positively! Are you going to get some established media from your neighbors?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store