Newbie Needs Reality Check - Buying First Tank (Acrylic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Sorry :(, I had the same problem with ordering a tank from petco.com, I had to talk to the manager at a local Petco a couple times but eventually they got it in. I told the manager about it in person, she got it all straightened out for me.

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
Good news! The tank arrives Tuesday! I'll be in New Orleans until Thursday though.

I made a decision about stocking the tank, once it's cycled (I bought the 2 bacteria liquid.. but cannot find pure no-additive ammonia yet).

Drum roll please......

I decided to make it a guppy tank! I have been researching them like crazy, and have a friend who used to really be into them. I think they are one of the prettiest fish, and are good for beginners.

I know the downsides of guppies:
  1. Many other fish pick on them, so will be limitted on other fish
  2. They like a little salt some other fish don't (my friend says they'll do OK with no salt though)
  3. They easily over-populate (saw some funny YouTube videos on this). Still researching how to best control it (assuming my fish live).
I will research bottom dwellers more down the line. But to me, guppies seem to have so much variety I am fine with almost all guppies.

I'll try to post a photo once I get things set up. And yes, I decided to stick with the blue jean gravel. I bought a hang-on-tank filter rated for 30-60 gallons, so as long as it fits in the acrylic slots I should be OK. If not, I bought it locally in case a return is needed. It holds two carbon filters (one on each side) so I think I'll replace them on an alternating schedule.

One thing that really bothered me about the acrylic tank was the lack of information on them when I researched it... so I plan to post a lot of photos showing opening sizes, etc.

Last edited:

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Try Ace Hardware if there is one near you.

Ace Hardware sells a 10% ammonia solution with no harmful additives.

EDIT: The ammonia is called "Ace janitorial strength" or something like that.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Yes, Ace Hardware is where I found mine. By they way, Guppys should be fine without salt unless your water is really really soft. You could easily have some Cory Cats, as well as a pair of Honey Gourami (or something similar). Unless you have a lot of fry hiding spots, your tank shouldn't overpopulate with this setup.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
yeah i have my guppies without salt and theyre fine. my sister does too and they are healthy as could be :)

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
The aquarium came when I was on my business trip! I got home last night at 12:30 AM but was so excited I literally stayed up most of the night starting to set it up.

I'll post pictures later.

The acrylic sure does look a lot nicer than glass tank. The back slot was just the right size for the 30-60 gallon hang-on-back filter I bought (but I did have to cut the water intake tube, which was hitting the bottom).

One corner is 3/16" higher that the opposite corner, so I think that is pretty close to level. Sound close enough? The two corners are 38" apart. The paperwork that came with it had a lot of warnings, but none said the tank had to be level (like the glass aquarium's did).

As far as the ammonia, Google says there is an Ace Hardware is 8 miles away.. I'll call first.

My water looks a bit blue... I hope it isn't because I didn't rinse the last 5 pound bag of gravel enough...

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
cant wait to see the pics of the long awaited tank

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
One thing that really bugged me was the lack of pictures... didn't even know the size of the openings, light length, etc. So here they are:

Naught

AC Members
Jan 7, 2010
I was surprised.. the light fixture just slides along the top anywhere you want it. It's kindof nice actually... assume that's where I'll feed the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store