Newly setup 22 long planted concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think the fish gods are telling you to wait & research some more...or that's how I see it, lol...You've almost got your system working right, yes? You don't have fish...what's the hurry?

OK, I'm cheap, I admit it, but a new regulator may not be your only issue...I'd try the "learn with what your have" method before throwing more $$ at what may not be a problem...or a different 1...IME fast plant growth, while fun at first, gets old with all the maintenance...be careful what you wish for!...& that was me without co2...

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Sorry for the delay on responding. I've been neck deep mudding and sanding my walls. Prepping for wall paint!

Mike, have you decided if you're returning the regulator or not? Aquatek doesn't have a super long warranty so I'd take their offer in the chance you get one that works as intended. The mini paintball one I got has/had a 3 month warranty so of course I'm now stuck with a regulator with a faulty needle valve. GLA has a much better warranty. Can't wait for their new mini to come out.

You did mention you have 2 other 10 gals you're wanting to set up in the future right? Have you thought about maybe getting yourself a regulator with extra manifolds so you can run all 3 aquariums on one single co2 tank?

Keep us posted on how things are going on your end!

Have a great weekend!!

Barber Mike

AC Members
Nov 16, 2016
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
No worries! I know how it is. Not enough time in the day!!

I’m unsure in whether or not I’ll return it. I have until next month... how long will my plants last without CO2? I have a few options/things to weigh out.

First, my new bubble counter comes today. If that fixes things like it did for that one poster I described earlier then I’m obviously gonna stay with the Aquatek.

Second, that shop I was telling you about with the CO2 art regulators has one of their top of the line “elite-pro” dual stage regulators for only $210. I think they are closer to $260 before shipping on their site.

Also, I do have interest in the GLA brand if not, but that will just be more coin.

And I love where your head is at Jen, but the only CO2 injection that’s going on is in the living room show tank. The 2 10s are destined for the laundry room where I plan to try and breed bettas or shrimp or something. Maybe after a few months and after my tank grows to its potential my wife would consider more than one tank in a high traffic area!

Still need to win her over a little more!
And thanks, hope you have a great weekend too.
Talk soon

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Also a little off topic, which drop checker solution do you use? I got mine on amazon and it’s pretty faint in color
I got myself the Cal Aqua Labs' Nano drop checker which comes with their solution. Taken directly from their solution refill description:

"60 ml. Indicator refill solution for use with CAL AQUA LABS’s CO2 checkers. It consists of a premade 4dKH solution containing the appropriate amount of indicator. Easy to use, no mixing required. Simply open cap and fill CO2 checker. It is also more accurate than starting off with a regular 4dKH solution and adding drops of indicator separately. This is because the additional liquid contained in the indicator drops will further dilute your 4 dKH solution, resulting in a final solution that is less than 4 dKH."

Ordered mine from Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) who are based in Florida. Per Cal Aqua's site, you can also get it from The Wet Spot Tropical Fish store in Oregon. The only 2 dealers in North America.

Last edited:

Barber Mike

AC Members
Nov 16, 2016
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I got myself the Cal Aqua Labs' Nano drop checker which comes with their solution. Taken directly from their solution refill description:

"60 ml. Indicator refill solution for use with CAL AQUA LABS’s CO2 checkers. It consists of a premade 4dKH solution containing the appropriate amount of indicator. Easy to use, no mixing required. Simply open cap and fill CO2 checker. It is also more accurate than starting off with a regular 4dKH solution and adding drops of indicator separately. This is because the additional liquid contained in the indicator drops will further dilute your 4 dKH solution, resulting in a final solution that is less than 4 dKH."

Ordered mine from Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) who are based in Florida. Per Cal Aqua's site, you can also get it from The Wet Spot Tropical Fish store in Oregon. The only 2 dealers in North America.
Much appreciated Jen, I've place an order for some of GLA's indicator solution. My current solution that came with my drop checker is quite dim in color.

Sorry I've been away, hectic weekend. That being said, with a few days to mull, I've decided to stay with the aquatek regulator and hang on to some cash. Although it isn't functioning 100% properly, the 5psi flux doesn't seem to be affecting anything negatively. One day I will make the jump to a GLA, but like fishorama said, I might as well just work with what I've got as it IS functional for the time being. From what I can make out of my current drop checker solution, I'm going from blue to green and remaining there for the duration of my CO2 injection period. Fine by me. My plants are pearling and I've already propagated once. However, I am noticing trace amounts of what appears to be hair algae on only my driftwood so far. Also snails. NOOOOOO!!!! Haha That's alright -- nice to see some life in my waters. Nothing a couple assassin snails won't take care of.

With that, I've finally got a reading of .25ppm nitrite!! I don't care how many times you perform the fish-less cycle, discovering nitrites never get old!! Now just hanging around waiting for my nitrates doing my water changes as necessary. Hope all is well with everyone. Talk to you soon.

*EDIT*Updated photo attached

nitrites.PNG

Reactions: Jennifer G.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your tank is coming along nicely! Looks like the hairgrass has increased.

What time of day is "pink" lighting? I just can't get used to LEDs in some ways, lol.

Barber Mike

AC Members
Nov 16, 2016
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I’ve got issues. Woke up this and my regulator never turned on at 7. Had to play with it unplugging and plugging and finally got it to fire up. My tank pressure valve has always been at 600 so I’m not sure if it’s getting low, or if the solenoid malfunctioned. That is the final straw with this Aquatek POS though. I’ve emailed the seller and am waiting to hear on my refund. I’ll be immediately ordering a GLA gro-1 upon hearing back from Aquatek.

Question: while I’m without a regulator, what should I do as far as my plants go? I was reading around and found a poster who kills the lights while he’s without CO2 while he refills his CO2 tank - but that’s only for a day. GLA regulator will take 7-10 business days.

Edit: fishorama that lighting is about 9:30 pm lol

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Mike, I'm sitting in my car waiting for my son to get out of school. I've tried typing a response but my phone is making up words and taking over my conversation. Can't stand auto correct! I'll be back on soon I promise.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Mike!!! Your tank is coming along quite nicely!!! The picture never loaded on my phone earlier.

I have to admit I was a little bummed when you said you were going to be keeping the Aquatek after the company had offered to take it back. I'm relieved to see you woke to find it not working...again, this time, a totally different problem!!! Glad to hear you're getting rid of it :D

When my needle valve failed, it failed in a way it was no longer letting the co2 through. The only way I could get it to produce any bubbles it was shooting out more bubbles than the naked eye could even register, PLUS, the scariest hissing sound occured as well as co2 coming out around the needle valves dial. Needless to say, I have now had my co2 unplugged for just over a month now. I kept my lighting duration the same because I did have quite the plant load already however I did dial back on the amount of ferts I was dosing since the growth had slowed down with the lack of co2. I had decided that if I were to get an algae outbreak, I would lower the time my lights were on too, but so far so good.

Did you treat your driftwood before adding it to the tank? I usually boil mine for 6 hours to kill anything living. The algae might just be due to the tank still being new, plant load and size is still minimal too. Once the plants start taking over, they will take in any nutrients they can get leaving little or none for the algae. Manually remove what you can when doing water changes and try to suck it up while syphoning.

I also ended up with unwanted hitch hikers and decided I was going to turn the tank into a pea puffer tank. Funny enough, when I made the switch to RO, I had to remineralize the water's GH, which ended up being much higher than when I was using tap and the side effect was it killed every single snail and all the eggs!!! I was shocked! In the famous words of Bob Ross, "there are no mistakes, just happy accidents!"

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store