"No spill" Water changer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I was in Pet Cetera one day and I noticed they had a "No Spill" water changer put out by Phoenix I think it was. I was wondering if anyone knew how exactly it worked as the package didn't really explain how it worked. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
If you do a search on AC for "Python," you should find what you're looking for.

Essentially it hooks up to your faucet, you turn on the spigot and then use that water pressure to drain the water from your tank. Then, to fill your tank (or a reservoir if you prefer), you just close a valve on the faucet end and let the water flow (after you've matched temps, of course). No buckets.

Do the search, though, and you'll find more information, along with many glowing reviews. It's one of the best aquarium-related investments I've made.

Cunch

Registered Member
Jul 6, 2004
Central Illinois
I have a python which I have used over the years... An absolute wonder if you have to do many water changes... Very simple and easy to use!! I highly recommend it.

Cunch

TonyN

AC Members
Mar 31, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
Before I got my Python, I was very bad about doing water changes. It was just too much hassle, and it didn't get done very often.
Now with the Python, I do regular 50% changes every week, and it takes about 1/2 hour tops. I wouldn't be without one.
If you buy one though, get it online, like at Big Al's or That Fish Place. You will pay half as much as in the lfs.

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
I think this is what you are referring to. It's probably the best investment I ever made in keeping me enjoying my hobby instead of being a chore. It is especially a godsend for people with disabilities. You can vacuum and refill your tank sitting down if you need to. I clean 4 tanks (1 of them is 100 gal.) in under an hour, and don't hurt my back in the process. I paid $60.00 for mine with a 50 ft. hose, and probably could have gotten it cheaper if I had ordered it. I have no regrets on spending the money, and would buy another one in a heartbeat, even if it was $100.00!

Last edited by a moderator:

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
Ihad a Python and used it for a bit till I realized how much water is wasted doing a water change. Now I have a pump and and hoses to my water changes. No wated water..very little electricity used.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by Finaddictfred
Ihad a Python and used it for a bit till I realized how much water is wasted doing a water change. Now I have a pump and and hoses to my water changes. No wated water..very little electricity used.
I have used a python for years and I agree about the amount of water that just goes down the drain. Another thing that gets to me is how slow it can be to vacuum if you have a long hose and can't open the faucet real wide due to a small drain.

Still, it beats carying 5 g buckets when you have a large tank.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The Python in theory pulls 7 gallons of water from the tank for every gallon "wasted" via the venturi mexhanism. That is a more than fair trade in my book for the convenience and speed of using the device.

The device makes all the difference in whether I can have a few tanks, or whether I have dozens. I prefer the latter case, with Python.

IMHO, it is the best development in the hobby since all-glass tanks.

Captain_Obvious

AC Members
Jun 30, 2004
Ft Collins, CO
Visit site
I use my python as one long Sir Isaac Newton powered syphon. I just drain directly into the toilet. No wasted water this way either, and it works like a charm! In fact I don't even have the little green dealy that goes on the faucet, I just connect the hose straight to the faucet adapter to refill.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Originally posted by RTR
The Python in theory pulls 7 gallons of water from the tank for every gallon "wasted" via the venturi mexhanism. That is a more than fair trade in my book for the convenience and speed of using the device. [/QUOTE

If that is true, then not a lot is wasted. However, I think the figure would vary depending on the distance from the tank to the drain and the relative height of the tank and drain.

It is still the beats a bucket hands down!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store