Non-aggro Tank Stocking ?s (47g) - tank smaller than expected

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
About a year ago I picked up a used tank and stand from someone who was moving. I thought the guy said it was a 50 or 60g, so I assumed it was a 55g. I haven't been able to clear space for it, etc, until now...and so I just measured it so I could know its true size and know how to stock it, and am a bit surprised.

The tank is 48" Wide x 12.5" Deep x 18" Tall.
According to aquavol, the tank is actually 46.75 gallons. Does that sound right?

I've been researching 55g tanks, and what to put in them, and still hadn't settled on anything for that scenaro. but now that the tank is smaller than I had thought, I'm all the more perplexed about what to get.

I don't have anything specific in mind yet. perhaps some (Blue) Rams, or yellow labs, or something colorful, but not super aggressive. This is where I am hoping to get some suggestions. I have no intention of overcrowding the tank, or picking fish inappropriate for this size tank.

(I am terrible with scientific names, so if you can write out their whole names and not abbreviations, &/or their common names, it would help me a lot.)

Thanks for your help!!

UPDATE: my tap water's parameters are:
pH = 7.4(ish)
KH = 3

I currently have :
20g tall
1 shy Bolivian (her mate died)
4 Cardinal tertras
2 bamboo shrimp
1 pleco

20g long planted
4 danios
3 white clouds
14 or 15 amano shrimp
2 chinese algae eaters

10g - 1 rainbow crab, and a 20-30 guppy colony (babies and adults)

Last edited:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
hey nanahachi

As you know, I'm partial to dwarf cichlids, and to a lesser extend Tanganyikans. Either would be great for your 48 inch tank. Since you seemed to enjoy the rams, I'll give you some suggestions for some "next level" cichlids that in my opinion display a much wider range of behaviors, that will keep you glued to the tank. 1st rule with any cichlids is to plan the tank, and tankmates (if any) around thier needs and behaviors.

Option one: Planted South American Tank

Substrate: Flourite, or some other SMALL grained gravel, or sand. Sand won't grow rooted plants, but you'd be amazed at how nice you can make a tank using just java fern, and anubius (niether require high light either).

Decor: Lots, and I mean LOTS of caves (red or black slate looks awesome with the red flourite). Malaysian Driftwood (If you can suspend it from the top of the tank, or attach suction cups and stick it to the back it realy gives the tank some depth).

Fish: My favorite, any fish from the Apistogramma genus. Apistogramma cacatuoides is hardy, easy to find, and will spawn without having to monkey with most tap water. The best way (a little more expensive) will be to order half a dozen or so juvinile fish. The territorial displays, and spawning behaviors that develope over the course of several months will be like a 24hr nature documentary in your living room. the tank, if heavily landscaped should provide enough territory for two males, and five or six females. Imagine watching multiple females spawning at the same time. Stealing fry from each other (in an attempt to increase thier own fry's chances of survival). Males defending thier larger territorys. very Cool.

Alternately, you could obtain two pairs of different species (must be added at the same time). "Apistos" are hardy and interesting, but very territorial. Adding new individuals will not work. heavy lanscaping to break up line of sight is a must. If your not looking for beauty, then small clay flowerpots can be used to landscape the tank.

I'll post later on ideas for a Tanganyikan tank.

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
awesome. thanks for the info mooman!! I look forward to anything else you add later too.

im going to past what luvmykribs posted to me in another thread, in case others might find it useful.

~*LuvMyKribs*~ said:
I would suggest doing some africans, malawi cichlids, especially if you want color. A group of P. saulosi would be perfect, that would give you yellow females and blue males, and they look great. I would do one male with at least 3 or 4 females.... then you could probebly add one or two more species such as socolofi or rusty cichlids... make sure they are smaller species and 'less aggressive' mbuna. I would stay away from yellow labs with saulosi because of the similar color you *may* get males bugging the female labs to breed, but if you have enough saulosi females then you should be okay. If you really wanted, you could probebly get both yellow labs and saulosi. I would not do more than 10 fish.... as when they reach full size it would be cramped. Aim for 6-8 fish.

Africans are aggressive no matter what, so they are always going to be chasing... its in thier nature and its part of what makes them so entertaining. :)

Have sand substrate, lots of stable rockwork, and a good powerful filter cus these guys are messy. Adding crushed coral into the substrate or into a stocking in the filter will help raise the pH up to what it needs to be (approx. 8.0).

Have you ever tried Kribensis cichlids before? They are easy to breed and fun to keep. Although a 20 gallon "tall" tank will be pushing it for territory space... however I kept a pair successfully in a 10 and 20 gallon, you just need to have lots of hiding places. Blue rams are nice too... as well as apistogramma. :)

If you have any other questions ask away!
-Diana
In addion to stocking my 48" tank, I think I want to redo my 20g tall. I will post pics of it soon, or in another thread, but I think I might move the Bolivian to my 20g planted and put a pair of ____ (insert cichlids here?) in the 20g tall.

again, thanks both of you for the help. and please keep posting your thoughts :D

Last edited:

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
I have always liked barbs. Like have a small school of tiger barbs and another school of black ruby barbs then some clown loaches for the bottom of the tank. Just my 2 cents.

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
thanks for the barb rec.

I finally got around to testing my tap water's parameters:
pH = 7.4(ish)
KH = 3

would anything else be helpful?

After spending some time the other day browsing labs, I've found a few with 30g min requirements that are quite pretty. Unfortunately I left the list at work, but there were some beautiful blue mbuna (i think) that looked great.

so many choices....:D

Please everyone, share your thoughts. Thanks!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
How about doing a Tanganyikan rift with 6 leleupi (or cyndrilicus, sp?) (preferably 1m/5f but juvies are near impossible to sex), 1 pair of any julie (but be careful, some of them might be grouping fish), and 1 pair calvus or compressiceps?

You chould also do a nice planted tank with a male A. cacatuoides, 4 female cacs, and some regular tropicals, like 12 cardinal/glowlight/pencil fish/ other small tetra, 4-5 otos, and 4-5 kuhli loaches.

Edit: Sorry, some of this looks like repeat; I didn't read the other posts :).

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
that's ok puma, sometimes i need to be told more than once :p

thanks everyone for the suggestions. i think it's time to order some supplies from bigals to get this tank going!

**EDIT: any thoughts on whether i should use the incandescent light that came with the tank, or a new flourescent? I'm thinking about this light

thanks!

Last edited:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I will second Puma's suggestion for the Tang tank. I would use sand substrate, TONS of rock (stacked almost to if not breaking the surface. I personally think it would be cool to have the water level a couple inches lower than the tank, and stack the rock above the water level (it would suggest a wider world beyond the tank itself).

I would choose a couple pairs of rock dwellers (i'm partial to julies myself) One species only since they could hybridize if given the chance. A pair of calvus, and several pairs of shelldwellers. Three species, all with thier own ecological niches. Very Cool IMO.

I can't give first hand advice, since my only Tang experience is with a species tank, but i think it would work.

PS Go with the flourescent light. That way you could wedge Anubius, and java fern into the rocks to give the tank some color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store