Not again!! Another unexpected betta fish!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Omggggg! Once again my brother decided to buy a Betta for my niece.

At the moment I have no tank setup. (All my fishes didnt survive the move to another apartment) So it's in one of those little cups, SMH

I have a spare 2.5 gallon rectangular tank, small filter, and heater [I was planning my own Betta tank (In case the betta didn't do well in a planned future community tank)].

Besides daily water changes and monitoring water parameters.

What else can I do to make sure the betta is a stress free and less chance of ammonia poisoning?

P.S.
Keep in mind I am going to keep up on water changes, But do any bacterial additives actually help?

Patty

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
IMO, that tank is a little too small for a Betta. He should be okay though. You could consider some live plants to help reduce the nitrites. Make sure he has a good environment to keep him amused. Also, what heater do you have? If it doesn't have a thermostat or anything like that he could wind up overheating, stressing him out. It would be a good Idea to keep a little thermometer.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
IMO, that tank is a little too small for a Betta. He should be okay though. You could consider some live plants to help reduce the nitrites. Make sure he has a good environment to keep him amused. Also, what heater do you have? If it doesn't have a thermostat or anything like that he could wind up overheating, stressing him out. It would be a good Idea to keep a little thermometer.
Thanks for the respond AquaticFrog32! The 2.5 gallon is temporary until I setup my community tank. But if he doesn't work out in a community setup I'm going to upgrade to a 5.5 gallon. I'm also going to have some wood and live plants in the 2.5 gallon tank and if need be the 5.5 gallon.

The filter is a Marina Slim10 filter modified with Aquaclear sponge and biomax (I like this filter because you can control the flow a lot from a little to full flow).

The heater is a Hydor 25w aquarium heater:
20160629_210010.jpg

It says it rated for 2 to 7 gallons.

The thing is I know, it would have been different if it was me who bought the betta fish. I would have done a fishless cycle before adding him to either the community tank or a 5.5 gallon (at least) tank.

Should I even consider a bacterial additive?

Patty

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Oh, perfect! Just temporary, good. I've even kept a betta in a temporary half gallon so that should be fine. The heater looks just great too, I did a quick Google search and it appears that you can set the temperature. Your setup sounds great. As for the Bacterial additive, well, it depends. I have used it for when I first started cycling my half gallon. It seemed to jump start the cycle, because it cycled quickly. It depends what brands you use.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I use SafeStart when I set up new tanks, but it doesn't instantly cycle. Just gives the bacteria a jump start. I've kept bettas in planted and filtered 2 gallon tanks, but my favorite small tank is a 3.7 with a built in filter compartment and a LED light. I usually fall for the Halfmoon double tails or rose petal bettas, so want to keep them away from my nippy gambusia.

If it helps, Petco is having a $1 a gallon sale right now.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Oh, perfect! Just temporary, good. I've even kept a betta in a temporary half gallon so that should be fine. The heater looks just great too, I did a quick Google search and it appears that you can set the temperature. Your setup sounds great. As for the Bacterial additive, well, it depends. I have used it for when I first started cycling my half gallon. It seemed to jump start the cycle, because it cycled quickly. It depends what brands you use.
I use SafeStart when I set up new tanks, but it doesn't instantly cycle. Just gives the bacteria a jump start. I've kept bettas in planted and filtered 2 gallon tanks, but my favorite small tank is a 3.7 with a built in filter compartment and a LED light. I usually fall for the Halfmoon double tails or rose petal bettas, so want to keep them away from my nippy gambusia.

If it helps, Petco is having a $1 a gallon sale right now.
Thanks for your help! For being a small, the Marina Slim s10 filter is huge on this tank. Will a

Azoo palm filter 60 be good on this tank? If so, how's the biological filtration on this filter?

Patty

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I'm not sure, never tried it, but if you are looking for a good small filter I would recommend the Tetra whisper 1-3i power filter. Got it fairly recently, and it works great!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The tank I was referring to is Petco's Cubic 3.7, which is now being made by Imaginarium. It has a built in filtration system with replaceable filter cartridges and an LED light with day/night modes. It's glass, and has a glass lid, which makes it difficult for my more creative cats to get into.

With the $1 per gallon sale at Petco, you can pick up a 5.5 gallon for only $5.50 if you prefer more room. My store has limited filter options, because it's smaller than most of the newer stores, so I'm not familiar with the two filters you mentioned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store