Octopus tank (log)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very cook Geek.. Looks like Fluffy might be ready for a big boy bed. :D (larger tank)

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
Very cook Geek.. Looks like Fluffy might be ready for a big boy bed. :D (larger tank)
I agree... he wasn't supposed to get that big >.< and he still seems to be growing. Unfortunately i'm a teenager who lacks a job and i cant get one until i have a car and am legally allowed to drive it. He seems happy for now though and his growth rate indicates that hes healthy lol. Note to self: minimum tank size dose not mean ideal tank size.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I agree... he wasn't supposed to get that big >.< and he still seems to be growing. Unfortunately i'm a teenager who lacks a job and i cant get one until i have a car and am legally allowed to drive it. He seems happy for now though and his growth rate indicates that hes healthy lol. Note to self: minimum tank size dose not mean ideal tank size.
Ain't that the truth. I don't know how many "discussions" I get in with people about my experiences with specific fish and how they react in smaller tanks that are the min's vs a larger tank where they can swim.

But Fluff looks great. Looks like his arms have grown back anyway. And you are doing an AWESOME job!

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
It was a ruff night for fluffy and me. tonight i woke up to a faulty filter again:eek: so I unpluged everything and was going to unplug the heater when i saw fluffy sliding/falling down the side of the tank onto the floor:eek3: after a couple failed attempts to pick up a slimy squirmy fluffy by hand I used some paper towels to get him into the tank. It turns out the filter had stopped working because i had left the prefilter in too long. I switched it out and stared at the tank for an hour or two and fluffy didn't show any signed of stress.

In an ideal world i would have tested the water rite rite after putting fluffy back and replacing the filter but for whatever reason I didn't. Now iv tested the water and it shows

nitrates:15 (higher than usual but shouldn't be a problem)
nitrites:0
ammonia:0

i had checked the water on Sunday and the results where the same with nitrates closer to 10. Monday i did a water change.

so assuming fluffy left because of poor water quality im guessing the dirty prefilter may have caused an ammonia spike because it drastically lowered the effectiveness of the filter. this seems unlikely though because as soon as the filter malfunctions it makes noise and i wake up :/

SundayI also got him a new piece of aquarium decor made in china (hand painted). I removed the pot in case it was painted with a lead based paint. im doing another small water change for safety.

Last edited:

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
I cant seem to find a picture of the pot online but you can see it in the back of this picture(along with a very brave hermit crab)

(pic from monday)

Id get a better picture if I could find my upload cable.

Last edited:

jac8724

AC Members
Dec 1, 2006
Chicago
WoW just read the whole epic story! When you put him back inside the tank after he climbed out, was that the first time you held him? weird!

marine_geek

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
No more Fluffy :(
Fluffy had been showing signs of old age for the past couple of months, and today I found him dead. because he had been showing all the signs (curled arms, loss of appetite, less awareness, blotched coloring,partial loss of sight ect) I had expected it. Its only been about 20 minutes since he was removed and it already seems strange for him not to be there...Fluffy was a great octopus to say the least. Ill miss him.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I am so sorry to hear that! This thread and your experiences with Fluffy have been a higlight for me on AC. My condolences :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store