Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
So what kind of timer are you using, the ones I'm used to you can't program that many times.

It stopped again so I'm willing to try putting it on a timer if you think it will help, I took it apart again and found nothing wrong, plug it back in and it started pumping.

So every 30 minuets you shut is off for how long,1.5 minuets?

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I was and still using the GE "in-door" mechanical 15 Amp, 24 Hr, 30 minute interval timers for about $5 to $9. But I now recommend the GE "Outdoor" mechanical, 3-prong grounded, 24 hr, 15 minute interval (96 on/off switches) timer for about $17 shipped. It has more flexibility and can handle wetness having an outdoor sealed cover and uses a ground wire. They make similar models with 2-plug-in's for $23, but since the single plug-in model can take 15 amps or 1300 watts using a 3-prong extension cord can run allot on 1 aquarium and not come close to using the full power load. Using them was a real breakthrough for me on power consumption, feeding off time without forgetting turn on (auto), fish stress way down with programmed and expected zero tank current rest periods, canister endurance increased due to rest periods acting as passive back flush allowing excess debris to fall off media to bottom of canister and remain. Win-win all the way round.

Here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-WP-HD-HE...ltDomain_0&hash=item19cc7b1a96#ht_1054wt_1164

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Like I stated in another post, the FX5 has a time chip that automatically shuts it down for approx 1.5 minutes whenever the FX5 is initially plugged in (runs for 1.5 minutes then stops 1 minute to purge air/ restarts) and whenever it senses continuous uninterrupted running for 24hrs strait (shuts down for approx 1 minutes to purge air). Because I have timers that run my 6 FX5's for 30 minutes ON and 30 minutes OFF repeatedly, my FX5's only auto-shut down after each 30 minute timer run because the FX5 chip thinks it has just been re-started after being serviced and runs only for 1.5 minutes and then shuts down for 1 minute and restarts automatically. So actually my run "ON" times are only 29 minutes out of 31 minutes OFF. In your case where after shutting down automatically it seems not to start could be due to either slime build up inside the impeller/housing/magnet or water damage has occurred to the chip from emerging the outside bottom of the canister in the sink or tub. One way to tell for sure is to place the canister clean inside an empty open-drain tub, fill the canister with water (no-media) with inlet and outlet hoses pouring into a big bucket to see visual flow. Plug in the canister and watch it cycle from pouring/sucking into the bucket and validate that it is going through its timed shutdown. If after a couple of minutes it does not auto-start using your ear listen to see if you hear buzzing from the impeller motor (jammed) and if necessary partially disassemble/access the impeller to feel if its jammed and will spin up with prompting (finger flick). If the impeller just sits trembling from side to side as if not knowing which way to start turning, then the chip has been compromised most likely from exposure to water. If your blessed the impeller or hoses are just be goo-jammed but as I said I have run 6 for 2 years cycling on timers 48 times a day with no issues. But I am also very careful to dissemble, clean, and sterilize my canisters thoroughly one a year making sure no water is flooding flowing around the outside motor during cleaning. If you get that chip wet it wacked. But to be honest 99% its just operator error not recognizing that an old GFI has tripped, hoses impeller is clogged with old goo-slime, with the motor actually trying to run but jammed or silently spinning due to lost prime (air leak o-rings). Be a ninja and know your equipment before jumping to conclusions and buying something newly advertised as the latest and greatest have to have alternative.

PS everything I just said above with respect to chips an auto on/off run time is for the FX5, NOT the CFS500. The CFS500 has no chip, nevertheless will experience a stop running for the mechanical reasons I listed above highlighted in red.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Or you could go wet/dry or sump, or another filter that doesn't play those games..lol....

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
Or you could go wet/dry or sump, or another filter that doesn't play those games..lol....
Well I might if I continue to have issues with the Odyessea, I'm in the process of changing my 125 to a,tropheus tank and definetly don't want to have issues with my filters.

I had planned to run:

2 Odyessea 500 modded
2 emp 400 with pot scrubbies and purigen
1 aquatop 400uv

Dont really have room for a sump, but might just get a couple of eheim or fx5 filters if these still are a problem.

I did purchase the timers from the link you posted gunner so we will see how it goes.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Sumps wet/dry are OK, especially in the water volume and feeder tank department. But IMO only OK in filtration department as they are an open and passive system. I have 3, one on each of my largest tanks (244,210,165). But I must warn you being an open system have a far greater propensity for flooding your floors with allot of water even with safety devices to prevent it. I have only had 3 floods limited to about 5 gallons (safety device) and all were from my wet/dry sumps for one environmental reason or another (lost power, hose disconnect, clog, exc, exc) . Because of the fact that they are an open system using gravity to move water toward the floors, its academic and not a matter of if you'll have a flood but when and how much. If you go this rout, one I recommend for massive tanks and need feeders, plan on getting yourself a wet/dry vacuum and at least 2 box fans for drying out the carpet/floors. Also a floor food alarm (cheap) which is great insurance when you are home. Don't get me wrong I think they are a good filter system with allot of side benefits uses, just as an owner of 3 don't feel insecure about being objective and protective about any filter to share with anyone the plain truth, something we seem to see allot less of these days.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I have 14 wet dry filters running for a good 5+ years and NEVER have had a flood. Maybe its because I only use 55 gallon tanks as a sump so I have plenty of room for tank water to drain back to sump in a power outage or whatever reason. In my opinion floods are from using undersized sumps that are just plain and simple toooo small.

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
Well it shut down again, took it apart and put it back together and it ran for a while, it was off this morning...arg!

Its on the timer, but I may have found the problem, the plastic dowel that keeps the impeller aligned was broken off at the base of the pump, possible causing the impeller to slide to the side of the pump housing and binding it to the point that it would stop. So now I have to find a piece of dowel the same size to try to fix it, but in the process of taking it apart the pump the output tube broke off at the pump, I thought it swiveled but it is threaded into the housing, I'm going to try to gorilla glue the broke off threaded piece back on, if that doesn't work I guess I'll try to find a piece of PVC tubing or something that has a elbow in it to rig it back together.

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
Ok, so I found some wooden dowel(temporary) and cut it to size, the glue job seems to be holding for now, I'm leaving the country next friday and won't be back for over a week so I hope this will last until then for me to Try to do a more permanent fix on it.

I did find some plastic lollipop sticks that are almost the right size, they will need to be sand papered down some to fit through the impeller.

I have a emp400 on this tank as well so if it fails again atleast there will be some filtration going on.

Hopefully this isn't going to be a ongoing problem with this filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store