old dog needs new LED tricks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It sounds like the light works fine though ;)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I did plug it into a timer to see what happens tonight & more importantly, tomorrow. The problem is it doesn't "wake up" the same every time. Heavy vs lighter fingered button pushing? Maybe it's a cheap LED thing...

Fingers crossed for white factory settings, not moon blue.
That is odd, although I don't have any experience with Nicrew. I know on my older current satellite 48" strip light, it came with a remote allowing you to change colors, intensity, patterns, etc. I kept it plugged into an old school mechanical lamp timer. The light would always power up to what I had it previously set to. I never really played with it. Set it and forget it kind of thing.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, 2 days on the timer & it seems to wake up in the happy factory setting I like (mixed white/red/blue lights). I don't know why we had "moonlighting" sometimes in manual mode. I say it's likely users' error by both of us...a learnering curve? All good now!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, I'm good with these lights now after several months (TY Noodlecats & all who helped with timer & LED setting issues, FF & dougall). I will order them again since, well, my next oldest PC light is dying. I bet this next light goes smoother thanks to all your help & my bit of experience with them now. I never have "xmas" or "disco" light issues reflecting off the water surface unless the water level is very low...or the duckweed is "very thin", a rare thing, lol, a constant battle in 2 tanks.

Reactions: dougall

vuathuysinh

Registered Member
Dec 23, 2022
vuathuysinh.com
Nicrew is affordable and good, I like their lighting.

For "medium" id suggest either the Nicrew Planted Plus, Nicrew Classic Plus, or Nicrew SkyLED Plus (which you can dim for as it can be high light full brightness). Of those, I love my SkyLED Plus lights, they do well.

But, if you can get JC&P full spectrum, I love those best. In built timers, and they do really well for plants, even medium light. On par with Nicrew for price, but doesn't seem like they're widely available everywhere.

Here are my two 20 gallon longs.

First has a 30" JC&P full spectrum on full brightness with a layer of water lettuce and vals up top
View attachment 229925

Second is a Nicrew SkyLED Plus with a dense layer of duckweed and water lettuce
View attachment 229926

Can get an idea of how the lighting looks on the tanks themselves.

The JC&P does well for my red Ozelot. New leaves grow in a deep wine red under that light.
View attachment 229927
oh no

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store