Organs keep growing when stunted?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Is there absolutely any evidence at all for this?

I see it mentioned frequently, especially with big cichlids in reference to minimum tank sizes. People say the internal organs will keep growing when the fish is stunted, eventually causing problems and death. From a biology point of view this does not make sense. Cells and tissues naturally stop growing when they fill the space they are in unless they are cancerous. So what would make it an exception in fish in an aquarium?

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
I've seen it happen to fish. My friend kept a goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, it lived for five years. And it ceased growing, but it began to bulge out in strange ways.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
How wdid it grow in weird ways?
How do you know it was the organs?

I have seen many stop growing in length and put on gurth. Anyone ever cut one open and compared the organs of a dead stunted fish to that of a dead fish that was not stunted?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what of the eye's? they are organs and they are larger than the bodysize of the stunted fish and are a typical indicator of stunting.

some research also indicated curved spines in stunted fish..is this possibly caused by displacement of the organs outward causgint the deformation?

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah, the eye thing I know from experience. I had a skirt tetra that survived 3 years of poor fishkeeping, and he definitely stunted. He was not full length by any means, and he was five years old when I traded him to my LFS. However, his eyes were BIG. Much bigger than his mouth, almost even the size of his fins.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
There are different 'types' of stunting. for instance, take a goldfish and put it in a 55 Gallon, underfeed it. It will not achieve what is considered proper growth, and is therefore stunted. It will appear emaciated, be vulnerable to disease and be unhealthy. If this is not corrected in time, and occurs from a young age, the fish although fed well for the rest of its life will like always carry the physical consequences, like a malnourished human child. Its growth rate throughout its mass may not be even, giving it the appearance of lumpy deformity.

Take a fish which is kept in a cramped tank leaving it no room to maneuvre normally; this can result in skeletal deformities, which will inhibit growth, but not prevent it, and impact on internal organs. this is probably closest to the classic perception of what stunting is and while it is not necessarily that the fish stops growing its skeleton while continuing to develop its internal organs, it is somewhat close, in that the deformed skeleton arising form cramped conditions impacts negatively on development/performance of internal organs, often swim bladder.

take fish which are kept overstocked and underfiltered. the release of growth inhibitor hormones by dominant fish will inhibit growth, and again lead to stunting of physical size, but as long as sufficient food is eaten, there being no skeletal abnormality, the fish may not appear deformed except in size. the underfiltering will of course impact on health in other ways.

your classic Oscar in a 20G for life kept by someone who doesn't know better is probably going to be overfed, so big bulgy belly, underfiltered and insufficient water changes, so disease problems from this, and if achieving any real size may encounter the skeletal deformities...hence the 'stunted' fish.

There is a real difficulty in isolating the cause of the illness and deformities in a stunted fish because there are a) different causes of stunting and b) stunting will only over occur to a fish which is being raised in a poor environment and this will in and of itself cause problems.

The 'Organs keep growing when stunted' hypothesis is not in my opinion 'mythbusted' but is an over simplified way of describing symptoms/deformities often present in 'stunted' fish. An in a 'classically' stunted fish, is pretty much close enough to the reality for most people.

Think about a corrollary of the 'Organs do not continue growing' theory - that would be the 'fish grow to fit the size of the tank' theory. Neither is entirely true (the latter is an evil half-truth), neither is entirely untrue.

edit :^ all of this entirely my own surmisal and opinions of course, and not in the least bit backed up by any scientific evidence.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm not sure if there is truth to the internal organs issue tho.

but keep in mind that the area the internal organs are in is designed to 'flex'

I think there ore other significant issues to be concerned with as the cause of stunting is also attributed to other health issues related to organs that don't function correctly.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If it was true then fish kept under conditions that produce certain types of stunting would have this happen repeatedly and on a more regular basis. I have not seen this. There may be a few tetras, a couple oscars, etc. that display certain characteristics like larger than normal eyes or a bulging belly (can also be caused by a prolonged incorrect diet which would almost be expected if someone is taking improper care of their fish), but with it being so inconsistent and relatively very rare I do not think it shows any trends.

Either way avoid stunting at all costs.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
There are different 'types' of stunting. for instance, take a goldfish and put it in a 55 Gallon, underfeed it. It will not achieve what is considered proper growth, and is therefore stunted. It will appear emaciated, be vulnerable to disease and be unhealthy. If this is not corrected in time, and occurs from a young age, the fish although fed well for the rest of its life will like always carry the physical consequences, like a malnourished human child. Its growth rate throughout its mass may not be even, giving it the appearance of lumpy deformity.
Hey Color, I think you hit the nail on the head. I never thought about it this way before, but the conditions we would subject a fish to would have similarities to conditions we subject a human too. I think it's pretty much bunk that the organs continue to grow bigger than the body cavity can accomodate. They will be undersized or sized for the body that contains them. I can relate to you about one of my sons. One of my very premature triplet sons was born with a congenital birth defect, tracheo-esophogeal fistula. That in itself is easy to fix in a full term baby, but not so easy in a 2 lb baby. We encountered a series of problems along the way, all starting with the TEF and him having to be fed with a G-tube in the stomach. One problem created another until I could barely keep any food in him. He came home after 4 months in the hospital weighing 7 pounds. At 12 months of age he was still only 10 pounds and close to dying from failure to thrive. Those 12 months of improper nourishment to his body have had and continue to have an effect on his normal growth rate and physical development even at the age now of 16 1/2 years old. One of my triplets is 6'1", the second is 5"11. James is now 5'4" and weighs a mere 90 lbs. Puberty has been delayed, teeth had to be pulled since his jaw was too small to accomodate all of them, and his internal organs are all sized for the body he has now. His organs did not continue to grow too big within his small frame. How could it possibly be any different for a fish...or a dog....or a cat for that matter. They would be like my son. And if you contained a human child in a too small place to live like you do with a fish, there could be other physical deformities from lack of being able to move properly and use muscles and appendages properly. And if you put shoes that are way too small on a childs growing feet, those feet will not grow normally, there will be some sort of deformity resulting. You could compare that to a tank too small for a fish to turn around in. And if you gave a human child filthy conditions to live in, they would be more sickly....same as a fish. Proper food for the entire time of development and growth, proper environment and room to grow.....all living things develop normally when provided with enough of these.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
If it was true then fish kept under conditions that produce certain types of stunting would have this happen repeatedly and on a more regular basis. I have not seen this. There may be a few tetras, a couple oscars, etc. that display certain characteristics like larger than normal eyes or a bulging belly
a few tetras ? a couple Oscars ? I don't know why it would be limited to those numbers and those species.

underfed fed = small, not 'average' growth for species = stunted

fish kept in high nitrate environment = small, not 'average' growth = stunted

fish kept in underfiltered overstocked environment (nitrate plus growth hormone inhibitors) = small, not 'average' growth = stunted

fish kept in tiny aquarium, not sufficiently large for size of fish = I don't know what to call this, but lets say stunted and we'll all know where we are.

'stunted' is neither a term of art nor a scientific description

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store