• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oyster Reef Ecosystem Tank

Chasmodes

AC Members
I've posted a bunch of videos of late, and realized that I don't have that many recent pictures.
A lot has changed in the last 6 months. The fish are all full size adults now, and all three species are breeding. They have their favorite shells that they hang out in, and don't stray far from them, especially the male blennies. When these fish are guarding eggs, most of the time, only their heads peek out of their oyster shells. They venture out and check out their perimeter of about a radius of 4", now and then, and further only at feeding time. They will eat, then bolt back to their shell. The female blenny is the lone exception, as she roams the tank and breeds with all of the males.

Much of the tank range of these fish are determined by these established territories, and these territories seem to be based on a pecking order, with the blennies claiming the best spots and defending them rigorously, especially against each other. However, since they don't stray far from their shell, confrontations are few.

The three species, for the most part, tolerate each other except when a fish moves too close to their favorite shell, and is chased off. The pecking order appears to be that the blennies are the most dominant, but pretty equal against each other, followed by the skilletfish but not far behind. Male skilletfish tend to defend their shells rigorously as well. The gobies are probably the least aggressive, but very brave, as they will put up a good defensive front against the other species and try to chase them away. They tend to back down and flee if challenged in return, though.

The females of each species are the most mobile and hold more vague territories, not necessarily restricted to a single shell. Here are some recent pics:

Female striped blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus)

Male striped blenny:

Male striped blenny, guarding eggs:

Skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus):

Female naked goby (Gobiosoma bosc), the males look the same but are a bit larger:

Chasmodes

AC Members
Here's an interesting video I shot the other day. I went to feed my invert 20g high tank, and noticed this freaky worm swimming fast around my tank. At first, I thought it might e a new species, but after doing some research on the net, it's probably one of the clamworms sporting a swimming reproductive phase. I read that they're mouthparts are useless at this stage, as is their digestive tract, and that they'll die after they've spawned. I think that is the case. If someone knows more, please post about it.

Chasmodes

AC Members
Look what I found in my tank last night! I spend time each day watching this tank, and let me tell you that I thought that I knew what was going on at every inch of visible space in the tank. But, last night, right in front, I found a new plant sprouting up, and I think it is widgeon grass. For those that have followed my thread, you may remember that I've introduced this grass in my tank many times, and each time it has died off. The key to getting it to grow is to make sure it roots, and although, I tried to do that, it never worked. Well, now this sprout appears on it's own, and I couldn't be happier. It may be too early to ID it, because it could be another form of algae, but it sure looks like widgeon grass to me. So, I guess this makes my tank a sea grass tank now!!! If this stuff tanks off, maybe it can out-compete the other less desirable forms of algae and slime. Anyway, here's a pic of it, followed by a video of it and a general pan of the fish to show you how their doing.

Here's the vid:

Chasmodes

AC Members
Here's a vid from last week, not the best quality, but all of the critters poked their heads out to say hi:

Chasmodes

AC Members
My fished posed again for me, so time to share some pics again.

Male Striped Blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus):

A pair of male striped blennies challenging each other's territory:

A skilletfish (Gobisox strumosus), blending in:

Side view of a skilletfish:

Another angle of a skilletfish, and a female naked goby (Gobiosoma bosc) inside an oyster shell:

Another male striped blenny peeking out from a crevice:

The queen of the tank, a female striped blenny:

A handsome male naked goby.

Chasmodes

AC Members
There isn't much different going on in the tank than my last update, but, even when I don't have time to watch it, I wind up watching for an hour or more. So, this is part of my hour watching last night, right before feeding time. I snuck in before they could see me and beg at the glass for food, almost. One skilletfish was waiting for me before I got there. I feed them at about the same time every night. I wonder if they also have "internal clocks" like we do. Hope you all like the video:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store