Pacific Treefrog: From Tadpole to Frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
Very cool, are you gonna make a home for them?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
^ Already did:

The tadpoles themselves: (On my hand)

The tank is usually a light green when sun hits it, but today was an overcast day. I also have a bunch of pond snails in it.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
good luck with these guys, i got a batch of 5 or 6 pacific treefrogs(not actually a treefrog through) about 2yrs ago and managed to get 2 of them to leave the water, one disappeared after about 2mo but i still have my female who lives in a 20g now, they're awesome frogs.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
This weekend I will go down to the local pond and see if I can get some Pacific treefrog tadpoles or eggs. (This time not in a salsa jar)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
When both species of frogs are small tadpoles, I'll feed them boiled pieces of lettuce and when the Bullfrogs start getting bigger than the treefrogs, I'll seperate them in 2 ten gallon tanks.

I will then put about 6-8 treefrogs in 1 ten gallon and feed them small crickets, and I will use the other ten gallon to put in one bullfrog adult and feed him/her feeder goldfish that have been put out of water. Seeing a beached, flopping, defenseless fish is like saying "Come eat me!" to a bullfrog.

(The rest of the frogs I will release into the pond where I got the treefrogs at, since I already see them there.)

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Sounds good. Just be sure to use dark lettuces like romaine; iceberg lettuce is nutritionally empty. Other greens like spinach and kale are also good.

When your Pseudacris metamorphose they will be far too small to take even pinhead crickets; plan on getting some fruit flies. The bullfrog will be big enough to take medium crickets when he metamorphoses. I would caution against goldfish as the steady food for your bullfrog; no doubt he'll eat them, but earthworms, waxworms, fortified crickets, moths, and pinkies provide superior nutrition.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I'll feed the bullfrog earthworms too now that you told me. (And any large insect I can find)

Thanks also for telling meI should feed the treefrogs fruitflies when they come out of the water.

UPDATE: It was very stormy in southern Oregon last night, so I put a bucket under the spill way of my roof and this morning I dumped it all in the 10G, so now the tank is full to the top.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
yea, i had my treefrogs on springtails when they morphed out and until i could get some FF cultures going(very easy to do, my pair of cultures lasted my for a year and a half)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store