Penguin overflows around intake tube and insert?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mperrin9673

AC Members
May 24, 2022
I see in your pics that the carbon bag is almost touching the wheel. I only use carbon if needed to remove meds or something, not all the time. I would do as FJB says & not have the media up so high.
Ok, I’m curious, why is media being high a problem? If there is a important reason I would love to know, thank you

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It can slow or block some of the flow onto the bio wheel & impede it's turning. When the flow back into the tank is slowed too much, the excess water will go back around the intake. That's actually a good thing, it keeps it from going onto the floor behind the tank. It can take a while to realize that may be happening. I've had it happen with filters angled a bit too far back toward the wall. You want the filter ever so slightly angled toward the tank to keep that from being a surprise issue. Water can damage wood floor & carpet and may lead to hidden moldy yuck back there.

I have to say I'm not a bio wheel fan & have never used 1 (well, maybe once years ago). I know others like them & I understand the theory. To me just another place to get gunked up & require fussing around. I'm old & lazy, I want the least maintenance without compromising my tanks' & fish health & happiness. Be sure to check for gunked up "axles", or whatever the nubs the wheel hangs by are called ;). You may need to clean those even if you "never" have to "do something" about the bio wheel itself.

Oh, & we'd still like to see pics of your tank, not just your filter, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store