Penn-plax 1000 problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I got it to quiet down. Just seemed like before when I’d remove the spray bar or it slipped off it was a jet of water spraying out.
now as you see in the video when I removed the bar it was just running not jetting out with any power.
Still burping now and again so maybe it will power up when all the air is out. My luck it will be middle of the night and the bar will pop off.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
In case this helps someone in the future. And because I hate not seeing what ended up fixing the problem when searching for answers.

so I was laying in bed thinking what could be causing the slow down. Then it hit me, the prefilter.

Idon’t have the bottom part of the intake tube on. Just the prefilter because it won’t fit over the intake. Well I slid it up to high and so all they water was trying to suck thru a small area of the sponge that was itself being sucked up into the intake. Reached in and pulled it away and fliw is back.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If the prefilter starts to get clogged, it will pull itself up magically.

Have the same problem with a stainless steel prefilter on an eheim.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
If the prefilter starts to get clogged, it will pull itself up magically.

Have the same problem with a stainless steel prefilter on an eheim.
Good to know I will have to watch for that but I usually remove it during weekly water changes and rinse it off

Reactions: dougall

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I didn't realize you had a sponge or something else and not the intake strainer on the intake. This makes sense now. If you throttle or starve the intake, the impellers can make a rattling noise from cavitation. You can test that theory by closing the intake valve on the canister just for a test listen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store