PetCo?Petsmart?Good?Bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betta-Gurl

Betta-Gurl
Mar 11, 2005
Canada
I actually like Petland the best, here in calgary,Ab. I also like the big als location, as well as the Pisces Pet empourium Great stock of fish! come to think of it even Riverfront is amazing! With there storelong tank with a 2 ft long silver arrowana in it they feed it live mice!!! EEWWW

hey

AC Members
Dec 6, 2004
sublime1184 said:
It all depends on your location and the employees
exactly

I work at one of the giant pet store chains. A couple came in a couple of days ago, they told me that they wanted to get some guppies and neons. I asked them what size tank the had, they said 10 gallon. They already had 10 fish in there (5 neons and 5 zebra danios), and the tank had not even been set up for 2 weeks. I was surprised that none of their fish had died. I told them that I wouldn't add any more fish into the tank, then they told me that the person who helped them out at another one of our stores told them they could have up to 40 fish in there. :eek:

dw427

AC Members
Mar 23, 2005
Depends

Their are 2 Petsmarts and 1 Petco that I have visited where I live. The Petco was horrible, and one of the Petsmarts wasn't that clean. The Petsmart closest to me though always has nice clean tanks, and a very decent selection of fish. The Equipment is overpriced, but if you a printout of prices online they will match them. I saved 15$ on a Python by doing that.

Mike Rathnow

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Michigan
I Deal With Private Breeders....

Or store's that deal with mainly fish. Most of the chain stores I've seen and been to, aren't worth the bother buying their fish. Tanks aren't maintained properly and the employee's usually haven't the slightest idea what is even going on. I've seen where store's like Petco's, Walmarts, K-mart and such actually fill up tanks with regular tap water and then put in the fish. I've been breeding and raising fish for most of my 53yrs. And just refuse to purchase fish from a chain store.

Mike

fishstoreguy

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
good advice worth the price

I work at a LFS and have had to fix many Petco and Petsmart screw ups. They will sell a person gold fish and angels destined for the 10 gallon tank they are holding in a box-set. The prices at a LFS maybe a little higher ( we are comaprable and sometimes cheaper than the bigbox stores) but a knoweldgeable staff who work only with fish all day is indispensable. You couldnt pay me to take a fish from Wal-mart sold by a guy who just came out of electronics. Plus their descriptions are often incorrect. The max lenght for a red bellied Pacu on their tag is 12" These fish become HUGE and we will only specila order them for people as most hobbyist do not have a tank large enough to house them as adults. We have many people who come in with large Pacus and Oscars looking to drop them off becasue they got too big.
It is true the buyer should do some research and know before they buy, but isnt that the point of salespeople? to know their product? I expect a ford car salesman to know intimately a Mustang. Not say, "boy I bet thats fast." Books can be very valuable too, at the store we are constantly reading magazines and books to better know about coral, marine inverts, cichlids you name it. After reading these books I saw how simple a small octopus tank would be and am interested in starting one up. The internet is a mixed blessing, I have found many contradictions. I guess the point is if you want to save some money go to a big store, If you want a more persoanl experience hunt around your LFSs. I have worked at both and much prefer the latter.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Kasakato said:
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-Stop Posting Here-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
What is your malfunction? If a topic interests people here, I think it's better to bring up a recent thread instead of starting a completely new "duplicate". This way you have more of the same info in the same place. You, however, have added 4 completely useless replies.

btw- It's a thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store