Petsmart Guy Was Wrong. What now?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sorry, a slight deviation from the topic, but...

Why doesn't Fluval smarten up and make some lids for their new high style tanks?

I mean, it's not exactly a secret that these tanks are extremely overpriced and not very functional. Which is fine, if that's what you like. Some people like to spend $400 on a plastic lawn chair because it was made by a famous designer (anybody every read the magazine Dwell? it's hilarious ;))

But instead of coming up with their special accessories...e.g. "Fluval Edge Gravel Cleaner" "Fluval Edge Digital Thermometer" "Fluval Edge Aquarium Fish Net"

Why the $&!@#% didn't someone recommend that they include an optional lid in case anyone wants to keep, oh, I don't know - a betta, or killifish - in there? The kind of fish that would actually fit in these tanks very well, as opposed to a goldfish, like on their packaging?

Ugh. Rant over, sorry.

But it is super dumb not to have an optional lid, I'm sure they could have designed a stylish one. It's effing ridiculous to spend over $100 on a tank that isn't even double digits in its gallonage, and then not offer the consumer the choice of a lid. It should be included in the package, FFS! But to not even offer one as an accessory is...dumb. Just so dumb.

Prohibit

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Real Name
Ray
Just throwing this out there, but the tank was like $60. Not over $100.

As to the guy who stated I should've done my research first - unfortunately I didn't know I was going to be buying a tank, or fish. I'm an impulse buyer unfortunately. I sell phones at Best Buy and I give 100% truthful answers, I only expected the same with PetSmart. My mistake :)

Really good information in this thread and I really appreciate it.

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
Looks like we have a lot in common Prohibit.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sorry :eek: I thought you had a Fluval Edge...which the last time I looked was $110 new. Perhaps it has come down some since then.

(I assure you that like most of the BiOrb tanks, this will be a "yard sale find" tank a few years down the line, since it is priced like a mini-reef but doesn't have the functionality of one, only the style.)

I see now you have a Fluval Chi.

Prohibit

AC Members
Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Real Name
Ray
Looks like we have a lot in common Prohibit.
Lol, yes it does look that way doesn't it?

Sorry :eek: I thought you had a Fluval Edge...which the last time I looked was $110 new. Perhaps it has come down some since then.

(I assure you that like most of the BiOrb tanks, this will be a "yard sale find" tank a few years down the line, since it is priced like a mini-reef but doesn't have the functionality of one, only the style.)

I see now you have a Fluval Chi.
No problem :grinno: Just had to justify my "still expensive, but not that expensive"ness.

We were going to get the orb, but I really liked the chi better for a cheaper price. We plan on buying another one at some point, and using one on each side of our bed on our nightstands. She's going to make hers girly and i'm going to make mine manly :grinyes:

We really love the enviroment fish tanks bring to our home.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Heh, I love the his and her tanks idea :D

The Fluval Chi is not that expensive, you're right. Years ago the 5 gallon Eclipse hex tanks cost that much, now you can routinely find them for $45 new. They are not very functional either, but I'll admit that I have one :eek:

You can get a 5 gallon kit with heater for $50 at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-5-G...-Watt-Heater-Bundle/13228131?findingMethod=rr

While this is a much more functional aquarium because of its conventional shape, I agree that it is kind of boring looking.

The Fluval Chi would make a great invert only tank, if you ever want to try a tank with just shrimp like cherries and snails like nerites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store