Pics of my stacked 30g & 5.5g nanos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Here are two of my nanos, I wanted to post an update of how they're doing.
The 5.5g is under the 30g, inside the stand. It started out as a bits and pieces frag/rescue tank, but before long it became a little reef in its own right
Both tanks are pretty simple. The 5.5g is skimmerless with two little HOBs, the 30g has a Remora and two AC70's (one standard, one modded into a fuge). Both have PC lighting. They've come a long way since I started in this hobby - neither is drop-dead gorgeous, but they've brought me hours of happiness and I just wanted to share. Enjoy :D

Here's the 30g at nearly 11 months old...

And the 5.5g that lives inside its stand:

Looks like I'm not the only one who likes watching the tanks ;)

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
Your tank looks good... I bet the cat has fun with it lol...

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
Oops I meant to put your TANKS look good... I didnt want you thinking I just saw 1 of the pics..

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Thanks! He does have fun with them, he's a hilarious cat. I think he was a fish in a previous life - he absolutely lives for the tanks. Any time I sit down to watch one, he's right there, demanding to sit in my lap. When I open the 30g stand to watch the 5.5g he goes NUTS, meowing like crazy as if to say 'it's about time, I've been trying to watch this one all day!' He loves algae wafers and nori, and he'll sit in front of the 21g for hours just watching the clownfish hover. Needless to say, I have a BIG soft spot for this little guy - he's in my lap right now as I'm typing this, I have a feeling he knows I'm typing something to do with the fish ;)

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
lol.. Yeah my cat likes watching my tanks too.. Its funny she will smack the tanks.. lol.. Hm... Maybe your cat was a fish in his previous life lol.. Well my cat dont meow at them though.. She just wants to play with the fish I think lol.. So how many tanks do you have? By the sound of it seems like you have a lot lol.. Bet your cat cant decide which tank he wants to watch sometimes lol..

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
We've got five all together, it's very crowded in our apartment! There's a 65g reef with semi-agressive fish, a 30g reef, 21g FOWLR, 10g planted community tank and the 5.5g pico reef. I swear, one more tank and I'll have to sign divorce papers ;)

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Our cats have not shown much of an interest in the aquariums. I'm pretty sure they do not yet know that those are real fish swimming around in there (in other words, they think it's something like a TV). They are, however, quite interested in the fish FOOD stored in the stand.

--Mike

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Swimfins said:
Very pretty tanks, you must do alot of maintenance Blinky lol :) Cat watching!
I just realized the little tang has grown, this is an old pic.
That's adorable, we ought to start a thread - I'm sure lots of people have pics of their cats watching 'kitty TV' :)
I don't really do a lot of maintenance, or at least it doesn't feel like it considering there are five tanks. Every second morning I fill the topoff bottles with Kalkwasser from a jug, top off the FW with RO and rinse out two skimmer cups, and once every two weeks I do water changes on all the tanks. That takes about two hours including cleaning all the filters. The most time consuming task is filling the RO buckets, it takes about 24h to get a 20g Rubbermaid bin full (this gets mixed with SW) and a 5g bucket (for the week's topoffs). It's the periodic more major maintenance that I don't enjoy - things like cleaning out hoses and intakes, soaking powerheads in vinegar, using a razor blade to get coralline that grows where it's not welcome, fragging Xenia and shrooms before they take over the tanks... this is the stuff I tend to slack on ;)

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
lol i need to get a pic of my cat watching my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store