Pit Bull hater?? Watch this!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
My only opinion on this is pretty simple. if a dog bit any member of my family, to the point that it got serious, I'd put a bullet right between its eyes. Whether it be a pit bull, or a germain sheppard, or a lab... I had a next door neighbor, older woman, late 60's that got bitten from her dog, that she owned for many many years..Dog was a Germain Sheppard. It put her in a cast. Her son refused to have the dog put to sleep. (I already find that disrespectfull to your own mom.) A couple of years later the dig did it again, and this time her husband took matters into his own hands..

When I was in Italy in '95, my cousin brought me to a pitbull fight. I only found out we were going there once we actually got to the place. I couldn't watch. It's the saddest thing. It's unbelievable how de-humanized people get at these events. The people watching these things look like the real animals.. .

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
I think Pits can be good dogs in the right hands. However, you can not ignore the potential these dogs have or "what they do well". In other words, I do believe that being aggressive is in their nature. You can either foster other traits and the aggressiveness will receid or you can foster the agression. My take is why have such a dog with this kind of potential when there are so many other dog breeds available. I'm sure there are people out there that legitametly like the looks and temperment of the Pits with no other motives other than what they themselves find appealing. And if you are one of these few, I solute you. But my observation of most people is that they get off on the whole mystic surrounding these dogs. There is an heir of "machismo" that surrounds the owner of a Pit. They enjoy the converstations and "arguements" that arrise from having the dog. They get off on peoples' fear of the breed. It's the same drive that would motivate a person to have a Piranha tank. I've got a scary animal and I'm cool, look at me. Again, and this will be most everyone's arguement, because who would want to admit being so childish, "I really like the breed and I don't have him/her for any of those reasons". Maybe there are some, but they are the minority; and most people have SUVs because they like them too. Not because every TD&H has one and we've been so brainwashed by TV and advertising - I'm sure these play no roles in what we perceive we want. Sounds like I'm getting off topic, but it's related. All of these things I've said petain to Rott Weilers to a lesser degree. They are the SUVs of the dog world. Don't get me wrong, these are great dogs, but about as common as Ford Explorers. And lets, not forget that the mystic surrounding these dogs is also one of power, size, and potential. How many spiked collars have you seen on Pits and Rotts? What does that say about the owner....really....think about it. Anyway, I appologize to anyone who legitimately loves these breeds for no other reason than the place they fill in their lives. You are few.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I agree with joseph on this one. Even though most of the time it is the owner's fault, unfortunately, it is because of them that these dogs will become illegal to own.

If anything, the government should send inspectors, or something like that, to followup on the wellbeing of the dog. Kinda like the whole story with Snakeheads being illegal in some states. I'm sure some people love the fish, and its characteristics, but because some people weren't responsible enough to care for the fish, and the dumped it in a pond , where that created a whole other mess, they just made it illegal to own the fish. And it sucks for the responsible owners... I guess we have to pay for people's ignorance.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
I agree with Joseph on most points except the natural aggressivness part. It is a fact that Pit Bulls are not naturaly aggressive towards humans. They do have bred in aggretion towards other dogs, but not towards humans. This is a fact that has been studied for years. The problem is purely the owners. Any dog can be trained or lack there of into being aggressive. Pit Bulls simply have the drive to do whatever they have been taught with no hesitation to the best of their ability, and unfotunatly for the very few who get attacked by Pit Bulls they have a very powrful ability to do damage.

As for owning the dogs. I got my first Pit Bull when I was 3 years old. It may have been a trophy dog for my dad or whatever but my love for them derives from growing up with them and knowing what a wonderful animal they are. They are the loyalist of all dogs. They will die for their owners with no hesitation. They do everything that is physically and mentally possible for them to do to please their owners. Unfortunately some owners take advantage of that.

Any of you who have been to dog fights, have you seen the dog prep? Where they get the dogs ready for the fight? Have you seen what they have to do to get the dogs angry enough to fight? They will sit there and jab the dogs with sticks and hit them and starve them for days before the fights. They do this because if they dont the dogs will not do any serious damage to eachother. The owners have to whip the dogs into a craze, almost into dilerium to get them to fight like they do.Watch the video and you get some what of an idea of what they do to their dogs but it gets much much worse.. I have seen all of this first hand as I used to help my buddy do rescues of these dogs. He also keeps them in his Kennels. Pit Bulls are NOT naturally aggressive towards humans. That is FACT.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Dangerdoll said:
hey labont, out of the 3 links that are in your signature, only the middle one works......

Hey D-Doll, I tried to fix em. See if they work now. All three work for me

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
I thought there would be more heat in that response Lab, very diplomatic of you. I'm just wondering when there will be a ban on SUVs because SOME of thier owners don't know how to drive them, or why there isn't an outright ban on cars due to irresponsible drivers. One bad apple spoils the whole barrel, right?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
gonefishin said:
I thought there would be more heat in that response Lab, very diplomatic of you.
I agree.....Labont865 - you are a very knowledgable, rational, diplomatic and articulate spokesman on the behalf of Pit Bulls - Well done!

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
Thanks guys for not bashing me too badly. Let me clarify on the "what they do well" part of my post. Yeah, ok, if you want to say it's the people that own them, etc. etc. What about the fact that the dog is capable of it? You can train a Tea-Cup Poodle to be the nastiest thing on the panet, but who cares - This dog will never do too much damage no matter how many sticks you poke at it. A Pit on the other hand, if properly trained (or neglected) has the capability to kill. Period. No matter how much I starve my Basset, he is not going to lock onto your juggular. Second and this is a new point, but, and let me oppologize to all Pit owners who don't fit this catagory. Most of the Pit owners I've seen fall into one catagory. Losers. Druggies. Trailer trash. And this is really the unfortunate part. These are the type of people who find it cool to own a Pit. It fits in with thier mentality. Having a potentially dangerous dog being cared for by this class of person is one of the biggest problems. I don't recal ever running accross a responsible "loser". They aren't the type to be able to house the dog properly. I can't even count how many Pits I've seen running loose because they got out of the yard, jumped out of the car, were let out of the house, etc., whatever. These people haven't a care in the world, have no sense of duty, care about society as a whole or even thier neighbors, and are the last I would put in the charge of such an animal. Yet they are drawn to them like flies to S#&% (no pun intended).

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
labont865 said:
Banning will not help in any way at all. It will open up the underground trading of the dogs and will lead to more aggressive Pit Bulls out there. As in that if they are illegal how are you gonna socialize them?? There will be less Pit Bulls around but there will be more aggressive ones. Also if you read the stats in that video and lread what NFR-22467-A say Pit Bulls are not a troublesome breed liek people say they are, meaning there is no more reason to ban them than there is any other breed of dog. There are over 80 breeds of dog that are proven to bite more people than Pit Bulls, so they should ban all of them first or aswell as Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls take only 1.8 percent of all attacks. Yet Jack Russel Terrier and Labs each take more than 4% of the pie. Why arent they banned?? The only reason is the Pit Bulls ability to do more serious damage. But this is the way it is for many things, trucks do more damage than cars but they arent banned. Rifles do more damage than hand guns but they arent banned. WATER kills more people than anything else and it isnt banned! Tell me why we should single out Pit Bulls as such a dangerous thing?

The answer is to illegalize un-licensed breeding. Or even having to take a proper ownership course before you can buy a Pit Bull. Both of these solutions will and DO work just as well as banning them.
P.S. up here in Canada more hand guns are illegal than Rifles!
I'm not disagreeing with your feelings about Pit Bulls, I've known many that are absolute sweethearts. However, regarding the statistics you've quoted, I'd be willing to bet that the numbers for Labs and Jack Russells are higher mostly because they make up a much larger percentage of the population of dogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store