Plants Recommendations for 50 Gallon Discus Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Hi guys!
I have a 50 gallon discus tank with 4 discus and 2 angels and I am planning to replace the silver fox and common pleco with L144 plecos. What plants can I keep with the discus, angels and L144 without them eating the plants?
I am using the Jcp full spectrum lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMHTG9...ip-storefront&ref=exp_cov_jcpaquarium_dp_vv_d

My plan is to add Anubias, jungle val, java fern, and red hybrid lugwigia
what is a good fern to add?
I am planning to add the Anubias in the blue area where the spot is higher and the java fern in the red areas which is in the lower spot so the fern is in the background and the fern should be behind the Anubis.
for the root plants, I am going to plant them in clay pots with aqua soils. Do you think I need to add a wave maker in the tank?

IMG_2193.JPGScreen Shot 2019-11-23 at 8.10.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 8.10.59 PM.png

Attachments

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My fern vote would be bolbitis or needle leaf Java Fern I expect..

But I don't think that tank is gonna be big enough much more.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I personally would have 2 pieces of wood with ferns & anubias to help create some territories, any varieties of either are fine. You need to plan to lift them & the pot to vacuum under them often. Red plants tend to be more challenging in some cases. I can't remember what I had for potted stem plants in a 55g discus grow out tank.

I'm not sure I'm on board with your discus & angels plan in a smallish tank. Make sure the slow eating discus & more aggressive angels play nice & everyone gets enough food. Good luck!

Reactions: angelcraze

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Ok I will try the needle leaf. Is wisteria the same as bolbitis? I might add a wave maker to help with filtration. I thought it is about 10 gallon per discus.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, bolbitus is a fern that likes flow on it. Wisteria is a stem plant & gets quite busy, might need control in your set up.

Instead of a wave make I'd go with a second filter. What filter do you use?

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I am using aquaclear 110 and I added the wood piece. I can see there are waste lying on the bottom now because the current has been blocked by the wood piece I think a wave maker should be able to solve the problem.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can also extend the intake so it's lower in the tank. Or position the wood so less waste is trapped. Sometimes that trapped poo area makes siphoning it out easier if it's not too visible. I find a small poo vacuuming often easier than cleaning filters too often.

I meant wisteria is bushy not busy oops.

Reactions: lampro

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
You can also extend the intake so it's lower in the tank. Or position the wood so less waste is trapped. Sometimes that trapped poo area makes siphoning it out easier if it's not too visible. I find a small poo vacuuming often easier than cleaning filters too often.

I meant wisteria is bushy not busy oops.
Yea lowering the intake would help. I heard it not good to wash or clean your biomedia too. I have a small tank update. The wood piece seem to cloud up my water within 24 hours! I am still planning to add a jungle val pot on the right side and maybe a floating pot of crypt in the back end glass in the middle then I should be done scanning the tank. I think a wave maker would make the plants look nicer as well.

I prefer cleaning the filter pads tho

IMG_2278.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The wood looks nice! I would still do another with taller ferns like narrow or needle instead of vals in a pot. I have 2 different tall vals & they grow like crazy! The cloudiness may be due to tannins from the wood that can look tan or yellowish in the water. Not harmful & may lower your pH a bit. I don't mind that look but some people do. It will eventually stop leaching out. How long are your lights on? That can help algae & free floating alga can look cloudy. 6 hours are probably plenty for your plants. Just have them on when you're home to feed & enjoy your tank.

An AC 110 seems like a lot of flow on a 50g, is yours on the side instead of the back? The intake "extentions" are just another piece like the end of the intake now...it just fits over the end for another 6 or 7 inches.

It's not that you shouldn't clean the filter media, it's that with a heavy fish load & minimal décor there are fewer areas for the beneficial bacteria to grow...& I bet you clean the glass & bottom often. That alone is 1 reason I use 2 filters...better flow & I can clean the heck out of 1 filter each time are 2 more. I also often use prefilter sponges to trap leaves & poo that I clean every week or 2 if the filter flow slows. You should NOT replace the media just rinse & squeeze it out in either tank water or dechlorinated tap water, but I think you know that...

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Thank you! You mean adding another pieces of good with needle fern? or more fern on that wood? My friend is giving me 4 pots of these narrow leaf jungle val pots but I think I can maybe keep 2 pots in my tank. (I will update on the tank tmr when I get the plants) I might attach a trident fern on a small lava rock. My bn pleco is actually doing good job kicking out all the waste under the wood piece, all the waste has been push to the left side of the tank lol which I can remove easily
I actually never throw out the filter pad but I do change the biomedia if it gets too dirty. Where do you get the filter intake extension? Sorry it actually the AC 70 and it is on the side because the back of the tank is touching the wall. I might switch to a canister filter if necessary.
I am going to get some sterna cories and the tank should be complete :)
IMG_2368.JPG

Reactions: angelcraze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store