Platies swimming too slow to get food during feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Hi everyone,

I recently added newcomers to my 20gal freshwater planted tank. Among them are 3 sunburst platies and 3 danios. Everyone is lively and exploring the tank to their heart's content. The problem is that compared to the danios and the existing diamond tetras, my platies swim much slower so when it's time to feed them, the platies don't get any food because the others have snatched it all up. I've got lots of plants in the tank, so I know they can at least munch on those for the time being, but I'd really like a solution to this dilemma - I don't want them to be malnourished.

Your insight and advice is much appreciated!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
I spread it out, I've tried feeding away from the tetras but the platies are always too slow to notice the food.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I had a problem like this. A few months ago, I had a newly put up 20gal, and the molly was hogging all the food. What I did is use a turkey baster, suck up some water, put it in a dish, put flakes in the dish, then suck it all up and deposit it in the water so all could see it. That way you can put it all in front of their faces. Good luck.

-Aquaticfrog32

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, try mixing with a little water and "turkey baste" the food into the water.. Eventually, the platies will be just as fast.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good idea with the baster! My roselines are FAST piglets. I feed several different foods at every feeding (to ensure big and small fish get appropriate sized food and for diversity) in one area and quickly. Then they can't get ALL the food and the slower smaller cardinals and ember tetras get a chance, as well as some food actually hits the substrate so the loaches get a chance. lol

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
Considering my stock, how many pellets should i be feeing to my tank every other day?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
What kind of pellets?

xxenjxx

AC Members
Jul 18, 2012
I have danios and skirt tetras that outspeed my guppies but when im concerned about feeding them If you stick you hand in the water the tetras and such usually shy away while the happy livebearers come up to you. Spot feeding with a turkey baster is also fun

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store