Platy with a curved spine with pics... HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
wait so this only happens to live bearing fish?
Is OP a student?

It could happened to any fish which were/are exposed to UNIDEAL water conditions.
Depending on what it was cuased by, there is a chance of recovery but need more info such as test results of tap & tank water as of today.

Vid frrom side/top possible?

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
By testing your water

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
If it is Fish TB, which isn't actually tuberculosis, but a bacterial infection that is related to the tubercular bacteria, you may be at risk. This is from the link I posted:

Prevention is key to avoiding this disease since it is so difficult to cure. The immune system is usually enough to prevent an infection in healthy fish. Stress, which suppresses the body's immune system, and/or wounds in fish are most likely to allow an infection to take hold. Therefore, eliminating stress is paramount. Although aquarists don't frequently get this disease, using gloves when cleaning infected tanks is highly recommended. Starting a siphon by mouth is also a good way to expose yourself unnecessarily to the bacteria. If a tank has been infected, it is considered best to bleach it well and dry it out before restocking it.

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
I've had this happen to endlers from the stress of moving 2 times in a month and from old age. Also had it happen with egg layers from stupid me not knowing the nitrates got out of control. Learned that lesson the hard way.

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
wait so this only happens to live bearing fish?
No, as far as I've seen, this problem can affect many different species. It is common in livebearers but can also be seen with many tetras and danios. When I worked at a petco, I would see this problem not often, but every now and then. The fish affected seemed to carry out a normal life, though nobody purchased them due to the crooked spine. I'm not sure the exact cause of the crooked spine, but stressful water conditions would make sense as far as Petco aquariums are concerned.

Theres really no need to QT the platy. Just treat her good and let her live out the rest of her life with the others.

Dawnthepixie

Registered Member
Feb 19, 2019
Just came home with 10 platys two days ago. I didn't see it at the lfs, but this looks like what you are talking about. Also, her tail fin is long and narrow, making it hard to swim. As you can see, I have her in this in tank isolation box, but now I have to read up on TB bacteria in fish, maybe it can be treated?224224

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
This condition might be due to age old poor stock, but whatever the cause, a fish in this condition can no longer be treated. Take it back to the LFS...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store