Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help! Not sure if dead or alive

Discussion in 'Saltwater Illness and Disease' started by akimbo, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. akimbo

akimbo Registered Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Hi,

I remember going to the aquarium when I was a little kid and seeing a fish that looked dead and like it was decaying in one of the tanks. The image is still stuck in my head many years later. Concerned, my parents showed an aquarium staff member, and they said that the fish naturally looked like that, and shrugged us off. I've tried researching the fish but I've come up with nothing. Now I wonder if the fish was actually dead and no one had noticed until we mentioned something. I'm unsure of the kind of fish it was, but I remember it was in the same tank as the lionfish. The "dead" fish was somewhat large, probably the size of an adult's hand, and it was sitting upright on a coral, completely still. Its mouth gaped open and it was white, and it looked fleshy, like it was decaying or something. Can anyone identify what that might have been? For years I've wondered if the haunting appearance of that fish was just itself camouflaging or if it was in fact dead.

2. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Today at 7:24 AM
    Tiff
    I'm not too familiar with marine fish, but having worked in a pet store and heard some of the things that people told customers when there was a dead fish in the feeder fish tank . . . the fish was probably dead and the employee didn't want to alarm you or your family.

3. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Today at 7:51 AM
    Sheila
    I'd guess it was a species of stone fish. There are many of them that match your description and the behavior. They also have poisonous spines, similar to lion fish.