Pleco dietary needs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wwg

AC Members
Jan 22, 2008
Parma,Italy
i have an ancistrus sp3 which eats too much protein even though i do feed them veggies,which are zucchini,spinach,peas,broad beans,green beans and feed my goldspot mushrooms too. i tried carrot they ate a tiny piece of it

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
i have an ancistrus sp3 which eats too much protein even though i do feed them veggies,which are zucchini,spinach,peas,broad beans,green beans and feed my goldspot mushrooms too. i tried carrot they ate a tiny piece of it
The explanation is simple. Meaty foods are often relished more by lots of fish including herbivorous ones than veggies and plants. Do note that most herbivorous fish have long intestines and as their digestive system is not designed to take in lots of proteins, they become prone to bloat. Even plecos can suffer bloat and eventually die.

King Lobster

AC Members
May 5, 2008
Brocoli

They didn't touch it. :mad2:
Hi guys, glad to have located this forum.

I currently have a one year old clown pleco and a one week old bristlenose pleco(ages approx from purchase date from fish shop)

They both love brocoli stems, my very shy and peaceful bristlenose was even so bold as to chase away my red tail shark which is about 5 times bigger than he/she is from its brocoli today, it's usually my red tail shark that does any chasing!

lovemybarbs, perhaps try preparing it a different way, I strip/trim the tough outer layer off first, this also reduces any chance of pesticides being left on the brocoli. I then I place in boiling water for about 3 minutes, and place in cold water immeadiately after boiling to stop the cooking process.
I put a couple of small pieces in the tank and place the rest in the freezer for future use, and thaw out before feeding. (Brocoli needs freezing, even for human consumption as it quickly degrades in the fridge, you can tell by the yellowing of the florets in just a few days.)

Question for those that know.
1)Isn't blanching helpful to lock in the nutrients by destroying the plants enzymes which take out the nutients even if frozen?
2) If the vegatable is given raw as some advocate, what are the risks of harmful bacteria being transfered to my tank and fish?

I'd rather keep blanching until someone can answer those 2 questions above.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mitsunei Ray

AC Members
Jan 16, 2008
This is great stuff!
I try to tell people about feeding their plecos other things aside from algae wafers! And now i can be like HA! They do like it~!

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
I need some advice with feed the plecos cucumbers, I did all recommend steps, and they never touched it, I took one, cut it in half then cut that in to 1/4s, any other ideas for me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store