Pleco dietary needs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shin0r

AC Members
Mar 26, 2008
My plecos go wild for mango. A word of warning though: the fibrous strands of the mango can easily foul up your filters!

Slyther83

AC Members
Aug 31, 2008
wow i had no idea about this, i had thus far been feeding my pleco simply sinker pellets.

anyway, today i blanched some baby broccoli and a slice of zucchini and rubber banded them to a rock. after about 15 mins my pleco discovered this and was all over it like a fat kid on cake. hes about 9" long, and devoured it all.

my god i had no idea the poor guy was hungry like that i thought the sinkers were good enough!

anyway, thats what he gets now!

maybe some fruits as a treat on occasion, im going to get some cantaloupe this weekend.

hydraloveingman

AC Members
Oct 20, 2008
i had no idea......one of my plecos has paled and i thought it had a bacterial infection,but now i can't rule out low fiber,any suggestions on good food for a common pleco?

FINJOY

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
HI, GREAT PIECE ON THE PLECOS, MY BRISTLENOSE ARE IN MY ANGEL FISH GROW OUT TANKS, SO IT'S NOT FEASIBLE FOR ME TO THROW IN THOSE VARIETY OF VEGGIES, SO I DEPEND ON THE ALGAE WAFERS, VEGETABLE STICKS, SPIRULINA STICKS, AND ALSO EARTHWORM STICKS WHICH IS SAID TO GET THEM TO BREED, SO FAR FOR ME IT'S TO SOON TO TELL AS I'VE ONLY ACQUIRED THE BRISTLENOSE ABOUT A MONTH AGO.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
i had a pleco for a long time (it was a foot long when it died) and all i did was make sure that my goldfish didn't eat all the food. the pleco also had a cave.

Angels

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Real Name
Nia Schexnider
Thank you very much! I've been looking and looking for stuff to feed my pleco and I never knew. I just now put some spiniach in my tank! Poor little guy! He's just been getting wafers... and by now he is medium sized! I've had him for two years, and I just got the internet recently... There should be more information on them, it's really hard to find any kind on um...

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I haven't seen this solution posted yet, so I will do the honors. I have many plecos: L104s, L240s, L240s, L400s, L046, L260s, ottos, and farlos. Their dietary needs are somewhat different, obviously. If you are looking for a way to get your fresh (or frozen or blanched) veggies and fruits to sink, try sticking a fork in them and resting them on the bottom of your tank. I do this with zucchini, and the plecos always know where to find it. And shelled peas are good for all fishes digestive systems. I put a handful of frozen peas (I use petite size) in a cup of water and microwave them for 1 minute. Then drain the water and shell the peas. Some of the peas I will mash up for the other fish, but for the plecos I drop them whole into the tank. Good luck.

bnguy

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Variety of fresh and blanched Veg supplemented with algae wafers, pleco logs, and seaweed(algae) sheets.

AbhijithS

AC Members
Mar 13, 2012
Bangalore
Real Name
Abhi
Could anybody please help me what type of a pleco this is? I tried feeding this carrots & Spinach but didnt seem to eat anything!

2012-03-15 16.03.21.jpg

2012-03-15 16.03.21.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store