Pleco with Hole

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigAllan

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2016
Hi everyone I seem to have a issue with my pleco. I have had it for 2-3 years and no issues till last week. He decided to go behind some drift wood which has been in the tank forever and move it. He has done it many times before, but this time he scrapped off some skin on both sides of his body. They are white patches that still has some skin left hanging on it. I took out the drift wood to prevent any further injury and changed the water and added a little aquarium salt.

Now last night I looked and the one smaller white spot is gone but now he has a deep hole where it was. Any idea what might have caused this? He seems fine, like it isn't even there.

What can I do for him at this point?

I have included a picture I took of the hole lastnight.IMG_7986.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It should heal by itself, fish normally do not injure themselves on rocks and Driftwood. More likely, someone attacked it.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Yeah. What other fish are in this tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site!

What size tank is your pleco in? Do you do large weekly water changes on this tank? Almost looks like pitting to me from being subjected to high nitrates for too long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store