Pond Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
How deep is the pond?
How deep and big is the shallow area?
How many gals. on the pond?

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
How deep is the pond?
How deep and big is the shallow area?
How many gals. on the pond?
I'd say the pond is jsut shy of 3 1/2 feet with 2 shallow areas that get about 10 inches deep. As far as gallons, I have no idea. I was useing this as a holding pond for awhile because we were selling some of our koi pretty soon because we had to many.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Sleep is for the weak. Lol
this is funny...

unfortunately, I don't have any solutions for you.... maybe tossing in some fake floating fish so when they do go back, they see there's nothing but fakes in there and hoping they move on

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Do you see raccoon tracks?
Any sign of fish left behind, scales or bodies?

strongisleHK

Registered Member
Aug 26, 2009
put one of those plastic crates at the bottom held down by some rocks, slate, or maybe even some potted plants. fish should be able to get in and out the holes while racoons wont be able to. just an idea man let me know how it works if you decide to try it out.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
put one of those plastic crates at the bottom held down by some rocks, slate, or maybe even some potted plants. fish should be able to get in and out the holes while racoons wont be able to. just an idea man let me know how it works if you decide to try it out.
now THAT is a great idea!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
As strongisleHK has suggested....I have black plastic 'milk crates' in my pond for fish hideouts. Put a potted plant or two on top, and they become pretty much invisible, and the fish go thru them like they aren't there. If you keep the hideouts away from the shallows, the racoons won't be able to use them as fishing platforms either. If they are too close to the edge, or to your plant shelf, they will be able to step right out and fish in even deeper water.... I HATE racoons with a passion! Grrrrrr...
Jen

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
DSC_1249.JPG

Here's what the pond looked like. We saw all the evidence of racoons had been there. But here's the kicker, It had been 2 years for them to go after the fish in the pond. We were using this as a temp pond for some of the koi we were selling to someone before they got to it. As far as the milk carton idea, it's a good idea, but the little *******s would still figure out a way to get at them. I already looked at the electric fence idea. What I might do is make my own and hook a car battery up to it and see if those stupid things fry when they touch it.

DSC_1249.JPG

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Any other pics. of the pond?

That thing filled w/a $1000 of Koi would be hard for any predator not to check out.

Would "shooting fish in a barrel" not be the right thing to inject here....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store