Possibly sick Betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys...

So alarming.. I've never lost a fish to disease before, and I am determined not to!

I have the hospital tank set up (5 gallon), and am moving her over now (currently just adjusting her to the water in my fish-moving bowl..). I don't have the cash for meds today :eek: ... but I am borrowing some pet funds from my BFF and will go get some Kanaplex tomorrow (I would think I should be able to find it, we have some pretty huge fish stores here)..

She seems stable enough today... no 'fuzz' sticking out, still camera shy but eating okay.. and I got a good long look at her 'nose' and it is definately bumpy and greyish.... and she is still breathing oddly..

I hope she will end up okay. She's such a spirited little girl!

I already salt the tank she is from, using FW aquarium salt, 1 tbsp/5 gallons or a tad less (thankfully, I have only ever had 1 ick outbreak ever, cleared up in 2 days.. ). I'll make sure to not put salt in the hospital..

And Juice - you may be right.. I may cut down on filter changes. When I got the first 20g tank 16 months ago, I was told to just replace the filter media every month (!!). But I have since learnt that is not the best route, and have been cutting back significantly.. but if changing the filter cartridge every 3 months is still too much, I will cut back and just go with the old rinse method.. Amazing how much pet stores wanna soak you for more filter cartridges!!

I REALLY appreciate all the comments and help, thank you soo much. I will keep you posted! :)

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Yeah I'm sure they do enjoy the extra sales for filter cartridges. I've had my tank for almost a year and a half and have never changed my filter- I just rinse every once in a while and so far so good. Saves some $$ anyways =]

I hope your betta get's better and please update us it when you can!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Sounds like you are doing an excellent job for your girl. Keep us posted. And, you're welcome.:)

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
AGH!!! Help!!

UPDATE!!! I'm so worried..

For the past few days, I thought everything was gong pretty well.. Red Sonja was dealing with her 5G hospital tank pretty good, albeit a little more skiddish that normal . I have been treating her with Macaryn & Macaryn II..(could not find Kanaplex).. I have not noticed any signs of white fuzz, and yesterday, I actually thought her head was regaining colour from it's palourless grey tone of late. She still had a bump across her nose (once of my friends said she looked like she had elephantitis.. !!!).. but she seemed better.

I was wrong!!

I just check in on her, and one of her eyes is bulging!!! It's protruding a fair bit and there is a white around around it.. and her face on that side seems a litle more swollen. She also did not eat today.. I tried to get a couple pics, they at least show it a bit:

Sick Sonja.jpg

Sick Sonja 2.jpg

Sick Sonja front.jpg

I'm so alarmed!!

I did a water check, and was shocked to find the parameters not good.. I had just checked 2 days ago and it was fine, but today I am at Ammonia .5ppm, Nitrite 2.0ppm, Nitrate 40ppm!! AGH!! I cannot beleive it got that bad!!

I quickly did a 40% water change, and I will do another one first thing in the morning.. but... I don't know what else to do for Sonja.

I am starting to wonder if I should not euthenize her.. I don't know if she can come back from this.. but I am still going to try my best! I'e never euthenized one of my fish, but I don't want her suffering..

Any suggestions?

:cry:

Sick Sonja.jpg Sick Sonja 2.jpg Sick Sonja front.jpg

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm so sorry Sonya is not doing so well. I'm sorry I haven't checked on her sooner; I have been sick, myself, this weekend.

I'm afraid the popeye that has developed is due to the water quality issues. I wish I had paid more attention to detail In offering input.

This morning, right after the water change, and I'd do 80-90% in the 5 gallon hospital, dose the tank with the two meds.

The next morning, or 24 hours after the previous water change and dosing of the tank, do another big water change, 80-90%, and dose again.

Keep doing this for 10 days. The water changes will not interfere with the efficacy of the antibiotic regime; they become unavailable after a few hours, anyway, and keeping her water pristine will help immensely.

I'm on my iPhone (in bed actually, I thought of Sonya and decided to check on her), so forgive me for not checking the earlier posts, but did you say you use Prime to condition the water? If not, get some asap. Prime will help with

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Dang...i accidently hit post on my iPhone before finishing my sentence.
Anyway, I was saying - Prime will help with traces of ammonia and nitrite while Sonya is in the hospital.

I treated a Brochis in a 5 gallon doing daily huge water changes and then dosing his tank with Maracyn and Maracyn II, and he recovered completely. I know that many of the antibiotics say, on the directions, to wait several days to do a water change, but the benefits of pristine water and nearly total water changes daily after dosing the tank, I, and many others

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I can't work this darned iPhone, lol. I was saying- I, and many others have had good success with treating in hospital this way.

I hope she's OK, I'll check in the morning to see how she's doing.

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Hah.. thanks Mel.. I totally get the phone issues, I don't even HAVE one, it's beyond me!

Well, I've changed out the water 50% twice over in the last 24 hours (about 15 hours apart)... my levels are down to Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrite .50ppm, Nitrate ~30ppm.. still awful, but getting better. And I am using Prime, plus dousing with the meds..

I am soo embarrassed, I have never had water in such shape, never really had issues before. Last night, my cory's were breeding in my 20G (about 50 eggs on my tank this morning), my African Dwarf Frogs were singing, and my pond snails bred (like crazy, OMG! about 30 babies that I could count.. eep!)...

I must not be used to dealing with a 5 gallon.. I must look into buying a bigger tank for my next hospital.. and poor Sonja was in such bad shape it's like it's a different world with her!

Thanks soo much for the help Mel.. I don't know if I could be getting through this without you.

I will do another huge 80% water change tonight, and update in the morning..

Thanks!

My one big plus is that she ate like a piggy tonight, so I took it as a good sign! Still popeyed, but full of bloodworms, so I am hopeful!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Please update us on Sonya's condition.

I'm sorry I haven't been on here in quite a while; I've been sick, and while still sick my knee went out on me... could hardly walk and not sleep, and then I came down with Shingles, which is a whole other world of pain... and then..... well there's more but I won't bore you with all the tedius details involving paramedics.... ER...and such, lol.... suffice it to say it's been more than the usual craziness in my life, but I wanted to come back to see how your girl is doing. I have been thinking of her... and several other AC member's sick fish I was trying to help with, so how is she? I'm so hoping that she's better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store