Powder Blue Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I visited a new LFS today, and they had the powder blue rams! I was a little taken aback by the price (24.99 ea.) but they were stunning! Two questions. Are they this expensive everywhere, and what kind of requirements do they have (tank size, water specifications etc)? Does anyone own these/have anything they could tell me about them?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
$25-30 seems to be the going price on them, they do look very nice my LFS had some as well. They are pretty sensitive to water conditions, they need to be kept with peaceful fish I think around 20g is the minimum tank size. Ideal PH is 5-6 no higher then 7, 74-84 degrees. I wanted one but went with Bolivian Ram instead since I have high ph.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Requirements are essentially the same as any other blue ram (M. ramirezi). Depending on how well you acclimate and how good the stock is they can be adapted to conditions outside of those listed above. I've kept blue rams in hard water, pH ~8.2, and they certainly did fine. That being said they were regular blues and I'm not entirely aware of how well these new strains are doing in terms of quality stock.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I cant believe my luck! Went into a different LFS today and they had one. . . on sale. . . for less than 7 dollars! I snatched it up and for the time being I am keeping it in a 10gal with my neon tetras, until I find another tank. LFS owner is checking to see if she can get more for that price. Yippee! Hopefully it does well in my water!
BlueRamsTank.JPGBlueRam1.JPGBlueRam.JPG

BlueRamsTank.JPG BlueRam1.JPG BlueRam.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
nice find

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
i keep those same rams in a ph of 7.7-7.9 and they do fine.
but they are very sensitive to water quality,its best to have a large tank so the weekly water change doesn't affect them as much.(compared to do a 50% wc on a 20g)

also random fact- in alberta,canada we call those electric blue rams,or some people call them electric blue german rams

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Yea, I've heard both names for them. The first LFS I saw them in called them powder blues, then I realized most people call them electric blues

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
any way you cut it they are M. Ramirezi..aka. blue ram, german blue ram, czech blue ram. gold ram, powder blue ram. electric blue rams..all common names..I've even heard them referred to as butterfly rams..LOL

I find they can often be more difficult to keep than Discus..just keep the water clean

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Is it me or has the first spine on his dorsal has been nipped off? Regardless, he's a beautiful color. Good luck.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
You know, I hadn't noticed it but it looks like it has! He was in a tank with some pretty big Gourami's and he's barely bigger than my neon tetras. . . maybe one of them got him? He seems perfectly healthy and no nipped fins otherwise (probably why I hadn't noticed). It will grow back, right? lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store