Powder Blue Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
any way you cut it they are M. Ramirezi..aka. blue ram, german blue ram, czech blue ram. gold ram, powder blue ram. electric blue rams..all common names..I've even heard them referred to as butterfly rams..LOL

I find they can often be more difficult to keep than Discus..just keep the water clean
If I'm remembering correctly there was a thread a while back where someone had seen them labeled as angelfish rams (or something to that effect) and wanted to know if they hybridized with angelfish LOL

I hate common names...

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Well, I've had him going on 2 days and he's doing great! Working with the LFS owner to see if I can get some more at that great of a price! If so, my next project will be a Ram tank :)

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
I have two pair of rams.Gbr's and Gold.
I found that getting rams from a local breeder in your area can be a
key in keeping them.I keep my tanks at 7.0pH and 81.fully planted tanks.
The water in our neighbor hood areas are pretty much the same. pH wise ,etc.Rams are my favorites.I'm so glad that i am able to keep them successfully.That is the most beautiful Electric ram!Hope you find a mate.

Last edited:

Ecthalion

AC Members
If I'm remembering correctly there was a thread a while back where someone had seen them labeled as angelfish rams (or something to that effect) and wanted to know if they hybridized with angelfish LOL

I hate common names...
Right with you on hating the common names. If all the world was on the Metric System, spoke Latin, and measured degrees in Celsius, life would be easy.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I think rams are so adorable. I hope that the next time I move my water wont be quite so bad so I can get a couple. I seriously doubt they'd do well in 8.4 super hard water though :(

He's a beautiful little guy! Keep us updated!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I think rams are so adorable. I hope that the next time I move my water wont be quite so bad so I can get a couple. I seriously doubt they'd do well in 8.4 super hard water though :(
You think your water's bad; the pH in mine is slightly upwards of 9.0, with a KH of over 300. Good thing African cichlids are nice!;)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

He's a beautiful little guy! Keep us updated!
Didn't stop me ;)

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Didn't stop me ;)
Oh? You are successfully keeping rams in hard alkaline water? Share with me your secrets!! Though I just got a pair of kribs for my last tank, so I wont have room for rams for a while...would still love to know if they can be kept in my water for if/when space opens up.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if the rams are locally bred in similar water ..you increase the chance of keeping them successfully

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store