Project Badis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
So been having struggles with shrimp for well over a year and frankly, I'm over it, nothing I've done has been successful in getting them to thrive.

So I moved them out of the 4g, except a couple, and moved them to other tanks to live out whatever they have left, if they live and breed there, great, but theyre on their own amongst the fish.

Anywho, the tank I have has a few fish options, so I made a list of which fish would work that are available to me, and then let my 6 year old decide which one of those he liked best.

He chose scarlet badis. (Choices were between a couple of killifish species, a red betta, or the scarlet badis)

Ive got a good culture of aquatic microscopic worms, seed shrimp galore, and cyclops. No shortage of these at all, plus have no trouble with baby brine shrimp hatcheries too.

Ordered a couple more plants, since badis like a densely planted tank, gutted the 4g and redid it with a fresh new scape.

Filter is a cycled sponge from another tank, rigged up so it's partly buried under the substrate to hide it better and to maximize space in the tank. Black lift tube to blend in with background as well.

I am still waiting on the last 2 plants to be shipped out, should be sent on Monday, but here is the process up until this point.

Cleaned out tank
20210813_135706.jpg

Add the driftwood piece, which isn't waterlogged, so I used fishing line tied to suction cups to hold it onto the bottom glass so it stays down without a ton of rocks.
20210813_140750.jpg

Plants pulled from other tanks and substrate added. Bought more buce from lfs when I picked up the fish
20210813_201949.jpg

More plants pulled from other tanks again, and now also a bacterial bloom. All that's left at this point is the 2 new plants.
20210813_220721.jpg

Plans for the pending plants:
Blyxa japonica and pearlweed.
20210813_22usg0721.jpg

And the cutie we picked up. Juvenile, likely male, picked the one with the fattest belly instead of most colourful.
20210813_201503.jpg
20210813_191906.jpg
20210813_191858.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I just love how you aquascape your tanks, nice job again!

What are the dimensions of that 4G tank, it looks so long, kinda like a short standard 10G tank?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I just love how you aquascape your tanks, nice job again!

What are the dimensions of that 4G tank, it looks so long, kinda like a short standard 10G tank?
The dimensions are 18.5" long 6" deep 7" tall. An unusual sized tank, but I love it, but the size is limited for stock options.

What's nice is that with how shallow it is, no matter what light goes on it, it's high light lol

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Which Blyxa do you have? I have Blyxa novo and it seems to be a very different plant than the one you circled.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Which Blyxa do you have? I have Blyxa novo and it seems to be a very different plant than the one you circled.
I ordered japonica. It hasn't come yet, the circled part is where I am putting the blyxa.

Screenshot_20210812-161830_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20210812-162013_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Well blyxa jap is a lot less expensive than blyxa nov; I guess j's are more common than n's.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Well blyxa jap is a lot less expensive than blyxa nov; I guess j's are more common than n's.
Yeah all I can get is japonica here, and even that's infrequent. I'd probably have to be lucky to find the others, but japonica should also be easier for me--I don't do CO2 but it can do without so long as lighting is good. If it doesn't fare well in this tank, I have another tank it can be moved to so it's not wasted at least.

Reactions: jake72

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cool tank NC & a nice fat badis. Your son has good taste in fish.

Good luck with the blyxa, it never grows well for long in my tanks. It doesn't grow many roots for me & uproots.

Jake, I hadn't heard of b. nov., it looks cool! I tried "big blyxa" aubertii? once, not happy either (sniff). How are you growing it?

I've loved HM both as a cute little mound & as a stem plant.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Cool tank NC & a nice fat badis. Your son has good taste in fish.

Good luck with the blyxa, it never grows well for long in my tanks. It doesn't grow many roots for me & uproots.

Jake, I hadn't heard of b. nov., it looks cool! I tried "big blyxa" aubertii? once, not happy either (sniff). How are you growing it?

I've loved HM both as a cute little mound & as a stem plant.
I'm growing it in a high-tech tank but with an inert substrate. It is suppose to be more orange but in my substrate it turns green; but isn't dying. Rooting hasn't been a problem - despite my pleco uprooting several plants it stays rooted. Even though I use root tabs they dont' seem to do the work of real soil. I've had the plant since april 20th. The person who sold it uses one of the sachem substrate - i should ask which one. My guess is that the root tabs are not providing the nec amount of iron. Also the tank has a strong light but i had floaters that partially shade it - i've removed the floaters a week ago so maybe that will help - the tank is too crowded with plants so there is not a lot of free space - even in its green form it is not a bad plant as it is a textured green. The fellow who sold it had it as a rich orange. That picture was tanke July 5th but it hasn't changed much since then. Honestly i don't think shading has been an issue I think it has to do with the substrate. The purple/red leaves behind it are a prinz kleiner (not bar) sword; a plant i highly recommend as it stays small and has a nice colour - nicer than shown in the picture.

xyzx.jpg

• Love
Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store