Project Badis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ch4rlie

AC Members
Sep 18, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Amazing the colour change of the basis from when you first got him to how he looks today.

Clever plant choices and simple aquascaping for this little tank, am a fan of japonica plants as have had the past they definitely do add to the tank scape amongst the other plants.

You tank here is an unusual tank size but to be entirely honest, I rather like it. Would be perfect for a shrimp tank imho, hmm, MTS starting with me already!!!!!

Keep up the lovely work and a handsome scarlet getting spoiled with all those lovely live foods, nice.

Reactions: NoodleCats
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Have you tried the old trick I learned when I had a few angel spawns. Their fry tend to need live food initially.What I did was, starting about a week in, to begin mixing frozen cyclop with the live bbs. The fish would do their normal frenzied feeding and did not distinguish between the live and the frozen swirling around in the water and they ate both. Each day I reduced the amount of bbs and increased the amount of cyclops. In about a week or so they were off live and doing fine on other foods.

I know that live foods are usually the besy. But I am space constrained and After trying live bbs and red wiggler worms I gave up on live. Repashy and frozen are pretty good substitues.

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Have you tried the old trick I learned when I had a few angel spawns. Their fry tend to need live food initially.What I did was, starting about a week in, to begin mixing frozen cyclop with the live bbs. The fish would do their normal frenzied feeding and did not distinguish between the live and the frozen swirling around in the water and they ate both. Each day I reduced the amount of bbs and increased the amount of cyclops. In about a week or so they were off live and doing fine on other foods.

I know that live foods are usually the besy. But I am space constrained and After trying live bbs and red wiggler worms I gave up on live. Repashy and frozen are pretty good substitues.
Yes, I tried that. He's very stubborn and if the food doesn't move, he ignores it. Even dead baby brine shrimp he ignores. He watches the food for wiggles first. Smart little fish.
He will take the frozen bloodworms only if it's falling, if it hits the ground and doesn't move, he stares at it for a moment then leaves it. He's a very particular individual haha

Amazing the colour change of the basis from when you first got him to how he looks today.

Clever plant choices and simple aquascaping for this little tank, am a fan of japonica plants as have had the past they definitely do add to the tank scape amongst the other plants.

You tank here is an unusual tank size but to be entirely honest, I rather like it. Would be perfect for a shrimp tank imho, hmm, MTS starting with me already!!!!!

Keep up the lovely work and a handsome scarlet getting spoiled with all those lovely live foods, nice.
Ive done shrimp in this tank before the badis, but unfortunately shrimp did not thrice in this tank and I am not sure why. Since moving the shrimp to my 10g theyre doing way better, whereas this tank they'd drop dead for no reason in, despite my water parameters being great for neos, and even tried doing RO as well. ?‍♀
But yes, this tank is a very neat little size, great nano tank.

Ch4rlie

AC Members
Sep 18, 2021
Oxfordshire, UK
Yes, I tried that. He's very stubborn and if the food doesn't move, he ignores it. Even dead baby brine shrimp he ignores. He watches the food for wiggles first. Smart little fish.
He will take the frozen bloodworms only if it's falling, if it hits the ground and doesn't move, he stares at it for a moment then leaves it. He's a very particular individual haha

Ive done shrimp in this tank before the badis, but unfortunately shrimp did not thrice in this tank and I am not sure why. Since moving the shrimp to my 10g theyre doing way better, whereas this tank they'd drop dead for no reason in, despite my water parameters being great for neos, and even tried doing RO as well. ?‍♀
But yes, this tank is a very neat little size, great nano tank.
Could there be possibly traces of copper or something in the tank, perhaps in silicon seal if you bought this tank second hand?

Copper is notoriously hard to remove as am sure you are aware.

That’s the only idea I have as to the possibility why shrimps did not thrive in this tank. Odd really but the badis is doing real well so no real loss anyhow, a bonus if anything ?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Could there be possibly traces of copper or something in the tank, perhaps in silicon seal if you bought this tank second hand?

Copper is notoriously hard to remove as am sure you are aware.

That’s the only idea I have as to the possibility why shrimps did not thrive in this tank. Odd really but the badis is doing real well so no real loss anyhow, a bonus if anything ?
I would have suspected that too, tbh no inverts tend to do well in this tank. Mexican dwarf crayfish I tried didn't live long in it, neocaridina shrimp, nerite snails, Malaysian trumpets... only ramshorns and bladders live and even they randomly drop.

BUT, I had bought this tank brand new, still in all of its original packaging.

So that's one thing that doesn't make sense. Unless, I get a copper test kit, I really don't know. But it has crossed my mind as a possibility. I thought there was something up with my tap water with shrimp too, but my bamboo shrimp in another tank thrive great no issues, and the neos I moved to the 10g have stopped dropping dead as well.

It's got me stumped, but at the end of the day, I've got a healthy happy fish thriving at least

Reactions: Ch4rlie

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Had to raise his light, was too close, causing some hair algae
20211014_221756.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I did some reading and found various articles to study and watched some underwater videos... I changed his setup to be a true biotope for him. I chose plants that were found in Bengal and India, and set it up similarly to the environment they'd find naturally.

20220213_153217.jpg20220213_153213.jpg20220208_174757.jpg20220208_175431.jpg

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
He's grown into a beauty! I do miss your plant jungle but I'm sure the new scape will fill in.
I'm hoping the limnophila sessiliflora and hygrophila polysperma (behind the rock) grow into a surface cover. So it'll fill in there at least. If I can propagate the bacopa monnieri once it adapts, I can fill more spots with that too.

Also gotta go to the petstore tomorrow so who knows what I'll find.

This was one of the reads I did, really nice list of plants.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cool list! I just had a quick scan, I'll read closer later.

Unfortunately, both the limno & hygro are illegal here in US, although I've had both. I think the get around that by calling that limno a different "new" genus I can't recall right now. & hygro by varieties like Sunset & Tiger, skipping the polysperma species name. Other hygros are legal AFAIK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store