Pros and cons of quarantine tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome to the forums, glad you found the site!

Not sure if you had a question related to quarantining but you bumped a pretty old thread. Aslo not sure if you are planning a marine tank or freshwater but you may want to copy/paste your post into your own "hello, i'm new" thread located in one of the General/New to the Hobby forums. If you need help navigating the site, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I usually formulin the fish then they go into a q system for about 2 weeks with methylene blue.. just cuz I'm more worried about shipment stress

Reactions: northernlady

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
So, from what I think, the pros are having a healthy fish go into the tank without risking disease being spread and plaguing the tank, thus saving many headaches and such.

The cons, in my opinion are that a quarantine tank is usually small, has no sand, no live rock, no nothing pretty much...so it is not a natural environment for the fish, which I would think could further stress the fish and make it worse off in some situations. By this I mean that by not inserting it into a more natural habitat, having it in a little box for a while can be harmful to it.

My solution, I guess would be to do a nice long freshwater bath for all new fish before putting them in the display...say about a half hour or so. This way anything that may be on the fish already could be killed off and it could be ready to join a more natural place and you run less risk of stress I would guess.

Thoughts/opinions?
A quarantine tank needs some thin substrate, a few plants are good too. you need to quarantine several weeks so it needs to be a decent size-- maybe 20 L?? a freshwater bath is fine for the dog but for fish--- quarantine , LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store