PSA re: Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I saw a post on another forum regarding the Betta Buddy Marimo Ball which is a moss ball sold as a decorative plant for aquarium use. A Seattle Petco employee found invasive zebra mussels inside and attached to the moss ball and authorities were contacted. A link to the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife article can be found here Invasive zebra mussels found in Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Makes you wonder what else could be lurking in those..

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had a tough time not making a reference..

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Ahhh, man. Wyoming is one of only a half dozen or so states in the lower 48 that doesn't have them. The G&F is going to go nuts with increasing restrictions of what can be brought into the state if this becomes a trend.

WYite

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Another article linked Here said the 1st report came in Feb.9, 2021 but was limited to the Betta Buddy brand. Further down the article in the What to Do section recommends checking any Marimo Balls purchased in the last few months for zebra mussels.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Another article linked Here said the 1st report came in Feb.9, 2021 but was limited to the Betta Buddy brand. Further down the article in the What to Do section recommends checking any Marimo Balls purchased in the last few months for zebra mussels.
Now that I've had time to really think about it, I'm actually torn. I don't want to see new restrictions on interstate imports into the state, but the focus of my Zoology degree was fisheries management and limnology, and my conscience is telling me to tip the G&F off. In spite of my frustration with the G&F sometimes (that's a post in itself) I understand why they do what they do and I'm proud of the relatively unsullied waters of Wyoming.

I would think this is the kind of thing that can put a brand or company out of business. This is pretty serious on both a federal level and an individual state level.

WYite

Last edited:
Reactions: dudley

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Good question! I'm sure other state agencies will be putting out alerts as the story becomes known. It will also be interesting to see what advice will be given to deal with 'cleaning' the tank, other plants and water disposal as I seen that Oregon and Wyoming offer different solutions at this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store