PSA re: Betta Buddy Marimo Ball

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I read somewhere else that this has been under investigation for several months already.. it just happened to be noticed by the public a few days ago and then hit the facebooks.

Reactions: Sprinkle

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I read an article earlier that stated 2 different distributors are involved, one in California and one in Florida. The Cali distributor has been shipping 100,000 marimo balls every two weeks for months but didn't specify if all those marimo balls were from the Ukraine which is where they are harvested wild.

I hadn't heard that the investigation was that old. The 1st verified report was from the USGS on 2/9/2021 by the pet shop employee who said she had been finding them for a couple months in shipments.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I read somewhere else that this has been under investigation for several months already.. it just happened to be noticed by the public a few days ago and then hit the facebooks.
I read an article earlier that stated 2 different distributors are involved, one in California and one in Florida. The Cali distributor has been shipping 100,000 marimo balls every two weeks for months but didn't specify if all those marimo balls were from the Ukraine which is where they are harvested wild.

I hadn't heard that the investigation was that old. The 1st verified report was from the USGS on 2/9/2021 by the pet shop employee who said she had been finding them for a couple months in shipments.
Wow. If it's true that this has been under investigation for a while I'm simply amazed that warnings hadn't been issued earlier. Zebra mussels are pretty much considered the most potentially destructive aquatic invasive species across North America.

I graduated from college in December 1990. At that time zebra mussels were just starting to spread out of the Great Lakes region and fisheries professionals were already concerned about the potential danger they could pose across the entire U.S. I actually applied for a position in Wisconsin to survey waterways, study their effect on the environment, and work on prevention and mitigation measures. I really am floored that this is just now getting out. I would have thought there would have been some urgency to making folks aware of the danger.

Oh, and I didn't get that job in Wisconsin, which worked out for the best anyways. Besides, I would have had to deal with Packers fans. ?

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I see where I went wrong here. I goggled Betta Buddy and found this https://www.amazon.com/Marina-12209-Betta-Buddy-Blue/dp/B016WR8RRM

I did not look closely and I thought the weight was a moss ball and the betta was a picture. it turns out this is a fake betta, My bad.

I plead old age and failing to have my readers on when I was surfing for this.

DOH!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I see where I went wrong here. I goggled Betta Buddy and found this https://www.amazon.com/Marina-12209-Betta-Buddy-Blue/dp/B016WR8RRM

I did not look closely and I thought the weight was a moss ball and the betta was a picture. it turns out this is a fake betta, My bad.

I plead old age and failing to have my readers on when I was surfing for this.

DOH!
That's funny! I've done things like that before. I've actually not seen those before. Kind of a cool idea if they're not too hard so the betta hurts himself or rips his fins. I've taped mirrors to the outside of a tank to encourage a betta to show off, but this would allow your betta to have a "rival" in 3D. Kind of cool.

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Destroy, Dispose, Drain

Right now it looks like it is just for 'recentky' purchased; I would expect that wording to be better defined at some point, and also significantly increased also. I know folks who have seen them being infected in the past and not thought about it more, recognized the mussel or whatever.. so it's not a problem limited to this month.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
One of the old mods here has a Youtube channel and she has posted a video on this and what to do if you believe tyou have been a victim of this problem.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not aware of any stores knowingly selling the mussels. I sure cannot talk about other countries.

Kudos to MsJinkzd for getting the message out to the youtube folks, and those not necessaily a part of the channels where you would normally find this information.

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store