putting fish to sleep quick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
First of all, the "neurons are all over your shoe". Are you serious? I suppose technically speaking, that is true as virtually all of the fish is all over your shoe. However, neurons do not communicate with each other, they communicate with the brain via CNS, relaying messages of pain, stimulus, sensory information. Their messages travel far faster than your barbarian-style boot does, so yes, the neurons did, for a brief time, relay pain. Speaking of brief time...

There is no unit of time in science known as immediately.
There is however a time quicker than the transmittion of an impluse down a neuron--about 300 ft/s. So if a fish is pithed or entirely crushed in a moment, it will not have time to suffer. This is why maceration is an acceptable form of euthanasia for several species too small for cerebral stunning--it has about the same effect.

Last edited:

hamsterman

AC Members
Nov 8, 2005
Rhode Island
I'd go with squishing as well. It's the fastest and easiest method. You can't compare humans to fish and let's be real here...it's just a fish...do you consider the pain you will give to insects that you mercilessly crush? Put the fish to sleep and we can move on with our lives.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I wonder why someone would dredge up a 3 yr old post on euthanizing fish, make one post, and say they are never coming back. And judge the whole forum based on this one thread??
Agreed, quite odd...

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I'd go with squishing as well. It's the fastest and easiest method. You can't compare humans to fish and let's be real here...it's just a fish...do you consider the pain you will give to insects that you mercilessly crush? Put the fish to sleep and we can move on with our lives.
I go for crushing with snails. They may have a millisecond of alarm, but thats about it. I think very rapid physical methods and slower sedative overdose methods are roughly similar. I mean the sedative does involve some handling and disturbance.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Actually freezing slowly in water is quite pleasant as I used to scuba dive in the Bearing sea on distressed vessels and for WWII artifacts off Kodiak Island. I always had a spotter becasue when hypothermia would start to set in it is one of the most euphoric feeling I have ever experienced going from a feeling of well being and confidence to a desire to remain as the bliss increases, an absolute true story. Only once did my spotter have to come in after me when I surpassed the exposure time limit, normally we have that neuron receptor that tells us in spite of how wonderful things seem life is better , and we come up out of the water.

But honestly I have never experienced anything so physically physiologically pleasant, after the initial cold shock of jumping in 52F water of course which subsides in about 1 minute as the neoprene suit stabilizes the temp.

In spite of this fact I do agree that since time is of the essence in a case of an animal already suffering, brain destruction is the only way to go. When I spear fished off Point Dunn in California for Sheep Head, in order to keep fish tied to my side from thrashing and attracting sharks, I would simply cut out a pie shape size off their head and that would settle them right down instantly, extending my dive time from encounters with small sharks attracted by the thrashing.

Last edited:

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i'm a firm beliver in a sharp knife.

debaric

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
N.J.
www.myspace.com
Oh my dear, sweet Lord. I read this, and at first almost giggled, as I thought this was a child's interpretation of neuroscience. I realize quickly that it was an adult, and became afraid for my species.

First of all, the "neurons are all over your shoe". Are you serious? I suppose technically speaking, that is true as virtually all of the fish is all over your shoe. However, neurons do not communicate with each other, they communicate with the brain via CNS, relaying messages of pain, stimulus, sensory information. Their messages travel far faster than your barbarian-style boot does, so yes, the neurons did, for a brief time, relay pain. Speaking of brief time...

There is no unit of time in science known as immediately. There is a moment of time between when your shoe fully contacts and transfers force, and the fish is destroyed. Ergo, there is a moment when pain is felt, as the force transfer between your foot and the fish and the Earth beneath it is not of the same, or faster, velocity than the signals of the primitive, all-be-it present neurons.

I'm not arguing one way or the other on the ethical matter. I am, however, arguing on the informed matter.

Yes, if you kill your fish, and any animal, by stomping (or dropping a freeway overpass on it, as another user pointed out) it WILL feel pain. It will be only for a brief moment, less than .1 seconds probably. The most painless way to put a Fish down is with clove oil or another anesthetic.

This is my first and last post on the site. Good God I had heard this was a respectable site until my first thread I read is a vegetarian recommending stomping a fish out and its okay because their neurons are on your foot and then a bunch of people freaking agreeing with him.

Open a science book before you start mislabeling quick and painful ways of euthanasia as quick and painless. The realization that there is, in fact, a singular instant of pain is enough to discourage most.

Clove oil.
Go buy it.
Put your boot away, Conan.
Youre ridiculous

Csinclair

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Clove oil is the most humane method. It just puts them to sleep, and the don't wake up. I can be bought at any drugstore.

Anyone who would freeze a fish should be frozen themselves. I understand the post about a human who apparently likes cold water, but that does not mean your fish will enjoy being frozen to death. That is just stupid.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I wonder why someone would dredge up a 3 yr old post on euthanizing fish, make one post, and say they are never coming back. And judge the whole forum based on this one thread??
It's so unfortunate perceptions like that occur.:( Generations of forum members change from time to time. Not all members act the same way like others of us do.

Anyway, I use clove oil myself to do euthanasia. Never will try freezing. I dunno. Just the thought of it occuring on a fish hounds me. Some people can argue about it being humane or not but not everyone has the courage to freeze or decapitate a fish.:thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store