PVC and other pipes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
You know, it's perfectly safe for humans to drink from copper pipes, but putting one in a fish tank will probably kill the fish.

So, by your logic, since there's nothing wrong with humans drinking out of copper, should be safe for fish. But that's not the case.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Ok, first hand experience. Black ABS (drain) pipe in my 28 gallon tank for about 15 years (the same pipe) used as a cave for a couple different CAE's (which I happen to like). The current CAE I have had for 7+ years. I have 3 cories in this tank that I also had for over 7 years. I've also had zebra danios for 4 years; before that platies, before that angel fish for many years. Nobody died from anything other than old age.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Kveeti,

And your wondering why you keep changing your fish? I bet its the Toxins from the pipes. 7 years is not long enough. How do you know it wont effect the LONG term life span? NItrates has no effest on fish. LONG TERM exposure can cause their lifespan to shorten...

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
JamisonBWolsh, I am NOT changing my fish, except when they die of old age. I had my angelfish from 1982 until 1994. I had my platies from 94-98 and my zebra danios from 98 to present. Seven years ago I also bought my current CAE and 3 of my 4 cories (1 year ago I got my peppered cory a friend). My fish have had good long, healthy lives. I have not even had so much as an outbreak of ich since the late 70's.

No, 7 years is not a long time for those fish, YET, but they are still alive and healthy. I expect them to live several more years.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
well i went out and bought some ABS pipe tonight,so hopefully i can start arranging my rocks tomorrow.Thanks for all the info and experiences.

I also talked to the guy at the store and he said it is safe for aquariums since it is used for potable water. It is also not covered in a fungiside or anythign else in the inside,jsut to clarify.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i just completed an all ABS tank. the tank walls are made of ABS. im using ABS coated gravel for substrate and i was able to buy some sheets of ABS to cut out my own plants. im using ABS floss in my filter and i plan on feeding my fish a mixture of ABS pellets and flakes. now if i can just find a way to keep ABS in liquid form for the fish to swim around in.........

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
There is no way I am going to use a pipe not useable by humans to drink from. Its not 100 percent safe. No ABS for me :)
better ditch that emperor 400 you have. Its made of ABS.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Originally posted by jiggerpolebill
i just completed an all ABS tank. the tank walls are made of ABS. im using ABS coated gravel for substrate and i was able to buy some sheets of ABS to cut out my own plants. im using ABS floss in my filter and i plan on feeding my fish a mixture of ABS pellets and flakes. now if i can just find a way to keep ABS in liquid form for the fish to swim around in.........
Sounds like you're using a different kind of ABS! Yours being All Bull S^!+:D LOL

jiggerpolebill, I just re-read that and NOW I have cramps from laughing so hard! Thanks.:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store