Python Clean& Fill inquiry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
Yesterday I received my Python Clean & Fill. Instructions are very clear and the hookup to my bathroom sink faucet was simple. Will try it out later today on my small 10 G tank. My question is, Why do the instructions state "Do not remove more than a third of the aquarium water at any one time" Seems odd as I perform weekly 50% WC on my 36G & 10gal using the bucket method using 4-5 drops of Prime per gallon and will perform similar 50% WC utilizing the Python, adding prime as I refill. Just out of curiosity,Is this "Important Warning" just an attempt to CYA from product liability? Or what logic can be applied to their "Important Warning Statement" feedback would be appreciated

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is even funnier is what is stated in their sites FAQ...

"
How much water do I take out? We recommend only a 5 to 10% water change every other week. Removal of too much water at one time may stress your fish and result in disease or death. Do gradual, more frequent water changes for the healthiest tank environment. "

A totally bogus comment...I do 50-75% water changes all the time on many tanks.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have the python and I love it. Today I'm going to do a 50% water change on my 75 so we'll see. I can't imagine why they would say something like that, what's it for if not to do a big water change, and of course clean the bottom etc. on your tank.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
i do 30-40% twice a week on 12 tanks with a python. I think the warning is just something to cover their own butts in case something totally unrelated happens to a person's stock, like failure to match water temp, other parameters, or conditioning, resulting in stock trauma.

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
What is even funnier is what is stated in their sites FAQ...

"
How much water do I take out? We recommend only a 5 to 10% water change every other week. Removal of too much water at one time may stress your fish and result in disease or death. Do gradual, more frequent water changes for the healthiest tank environment. "

A totally bogus comment...I do 50-75% water changes all the time on many tanks.
I totally agree and took the "Imprtant Warning" as a insult to all experienced members. Perhaps they think that some people would perform WC and not utilize a conditioner such as Prime.Then perhaps a 10% WC would be all that the fish could tolerate. I just used the Python for theefirst time { 50% WC }and found worked great and seemed to function ok as a Vacuum.Will test on the 36G next week and see if it vacs as well as my regular syphon.Wow! finally sone rest for my Rotor Cuff injuryThe bucket brigade has finally ended!

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I would take a guess and say that the warning is because of what briar14 said, and because the FAQ and instructions say that you do not need water conditioner. I don't add the water directly to my tanks anymore though because I have to change the pH before I put it in. I love my python though, it's the best investment Iv'e made. The only thing I would say is a hassle with it is coiling and uncoiling the tubes up- I always have bends and twists in the hose no matter how careful I am coiling them up.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I use the python to siphon (using the sink attachment), but it really doesn't do the job like a regular siphon will. It also tends to clog easily.
I just use gravity to empty tanks during a change. It's no slower than my regular siphon. If anything, the wider hose diameter makes it faster. Agreed though, all the extra plastic hardware on the hose does make for more clogging issues than a traditional siphon.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I just siphon with it to the nearest tub/window/door...no need to waste water to get tank water out unless its the only option for you.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
My 10 gallon tanks get a 50% change weekly. Larger tanks get closer to 30% weekly. I do not manipulate the ph value (that's something that can go wrong and forever having to adjust it).

I feel that the more we play with our water values the more chance of having things go wrong. I have no problems raising and breeding African Cichlids in 6.4-6.8 water. As far as my inverts go, I have a piece of coral in their tanks since they need to ingest calcium rather than to have it suspended in the water column.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store