Rainbow shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
I noticed my new addition to the aquarium is slightly aggressive. I've witnessed him chasing some of my panda cories away from what he deems to be his territory. Is this chasing stressful on the cories? Will the stress hurt them in the long run or affect thier health?

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Any stress is bad stress. If the territorialness keeps up, i'd say get rid of it. Red tail sharks are usually territorial.

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I have a Rainbow Shark in my tank and he isn't that aggressive. He is territorial though. How big is your tank and how many fish are in it? If you have a small tank then yes he will be more aggressive towards smaller fish. Just get a docile fish that is bigger than him and he should stop. I put a Firemouth Cichlid in my tank after the shark was acting up and he stopped. Could have been coincidence though.

Winnie

AC Members
The key to rainbow and RT sharks and their aggression is getting them a cave they like. Then their territory isn't the whole tank anymore. Sure, they still bust out and chase everybody, but contact is never really made. If you watch them closely when they have a good cave, their anti-social behavior doesn't seem to bother anyone else; it isn't violent, just chasing.
My four cories totally ignore my albino rainbow. Sometimes they go foraging right through his cave and out the back door.

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
I have two caves set up in my 20 gallon and it seems he likes to control both of them!! What should I do now? I've watched him and it's true that he doesn't make contact but getting chased around has to have some bad effects right?

bettaman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
NY
Visit site
Alright, it's getting physical now. I just saw the rainbow shark poking one of the big cories with his nose until he moved out of the cave!!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Like the RTBS, they can become MORE aggressive as they age. Its an individual personality. It will only get worse.

Not sure on this..so maybe...about 50 percent sure:

I think they are actually more aggressive then red tail sharks. Find out from people who actually owned these. If no one with exp here answers...check the usenets

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I think they get less agressive with age because in the wild,bigger means less competition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store