Rainbow Shrimp (Warning lots of pics)! Anyone know the exact species?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

peter22

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
I recently got some rainbow shrimp and they are by far now my favorite shrimp. Their color ranges anywhere from neon green, red, purple, blue, to almost black. I just think their coloration is awesome with their white stripes and eyes makes for a wonderful sight! The pictures do not do justice, it does not show their true coloration.
Here are some pics of the shrimp. Does anyone know the exact species of the shrimp? They can breed in the tank and grow to about the size of a cherry shrimp. If not, does anyone know of any good shrimp forums that might be better able to give me an accurate guess on the species? I narrowed them down to a few known species, but am not sure since I know that the "rainbow shrimp" types are often a generic term given to color changing shrimp.

Picture 172.jpg Picture 174.jpg Picture 184.jpg Picture 198.jpg Picture 194.jpg Picture 472.jpg Picture 495.jpg Picture 670.jpg Picture 651.jpg Picture 660.jpg Picture 665.jpg

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Cool shrimp! Sorry, I don't have any info on them, but I think they are a neocaridina sp. like cherry shrimp are. Check out petshrimp.com, there may be a profile for them on that website. Where did you get them? I want some!

peter22

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
I've been to most of the websites about shrimp and narrowed them down to Indian Dwarf Shrimp, Malaysian Shrimp, but most likely Caridina babaulti.

There doesn't seem to be too much information about Caridina babaulti though... most of the websites that have info on them are in German..lol

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
The seller didn't have the info? Where did you get them, they're gorgeous and I want some :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice pics!

peter22

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
I got them at my lfs. They were not 100% sure what they were but they have had them for a while. Thanks for all the compliments, it took me a while to get some good pics of them!
No shrimp experts out there that might know what they are?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store