Rainbowfish injured...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
One of my dwarf neon rainbowfish doesn't seem to be doing well...I just looked in and saw him looking very roughed up and barely swimming. I moved him to a small bowl of water (i don't have a quarantine tank at the moment) because the water current was just blowing him all around the tank and i wanted to prevent any injury. Even in the bowl he's swimming mostly upside down, or tumbling around. He looks like he's trying to swim but just can't get himself upright and has moments of just lying motionless on the bottom.

Everything was perfectly fine this morning when i fed them and cleaned my filters, they were all active and acting normal with no signs of stress. So i'm guessing he got attacked by one of the other fish in my tank.

I can only assume that if it was him being attacked, it was by either the other male rainbowfish or my pearl gourami. My gourami does get a little rough during feeding time but nothing too horrible when i see it, otherwise he's very peaceful with the other fish and spends his time in one of the caves or behind some plants.

His tank mates are the gourami, 4 other dwarf rainbows, a pleco and 10 white cloud minnows.
I don't think it was an illness cause i think i would have seen signs of it sooner, but here are pictures of him just in case anyone can see something i don't. to me it looks like bruising, maybe a little blood under the scales, but i'm not entirely sure.
I hope this is something he can recover from, but it doesn't look that great at the moment...any tips on what i should do in this situation?

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Update: He did end up dying...but i would still like to know what exactly may have happened to him and what i should do if this happens again in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store