Rainwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
generally ponds are stocked with hardier species.
I know lots of people with platies,mollies,guppies,white clouds that are kept in outside ponds until winter time when they bring them in.

AlaskaMatt

AC Members
Mar 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
Depends on where you live, but here in Ketchikan we use cisterns for our main water supply. I don't see a problem with using rainwater, unless you live in a polluted area.

JeremyFlint

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
I don't, actually, our rainwater is very clean. I live on the east coast of Florida, very close to the beach (hence the hard water, among other factors) and the sea winds ensure a surprisingly clean environment in terms of air and rainwater.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I remember seeing a news report on my rain water with alot of test results being done to it and it shows up as being entirely clean. But I only use rain water for my pond and to refill my Fire belly toad water from time to time.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I use rainwater and never had a problem. Water here in coastal California always tests around 6.8 PH and GH and KH are not measurable. I don't collect mine from the gutter however. That can be problematic as all sorts of nasty stuff can wash down from the roof and I have asbestos shingles. I just lay out several containers with large surface area and empty them into buckets after it rains,filtering the water through a large brine shrimp net. There are more efficient ways to do it of course.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
It really depends on the area you live in,If you live somewhere out of the way,the water is less likely to be filled with pollutants rain water is striped of heavy impurity's due to evaporation.You would need to have a clean collection system and of course test water samples to see if the params check out ok. A friend of mine uses a funnel 2litre bottle to collect rainwater for his betta,and he has never been in better shape,I collect it for my reptiles and they are in top shape aswell.And if i had the material to make a large enough collection system i would probably use it for my WC's.
Just my Experiences and opinions,
-AC

[EDIT:Gmh is correct always collect it BEFORE it hits the ground.]

JeremyFlint

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
I don't collect mine from the gutter however.
Oh God. I hope nobody thought that was the direction was headed in. I've just laid out a few 44 gallon trash bins (clean of course). Considering the torrential rains we've been having, I figure I'll be set for a while in a few days. And if a hurricane comes through... :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store