Rapid breathing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Well, I'm losing one of my Botia, but it aint dead yet (it's in my new 15g sick tank now laying sideways but still breathing). The remaining 2 in my 30g are 'hanging in there' better, but they're looking a little stressed as well.

I also notice most of my more "sensitive" fish are breathing rather quickly. I've done a few water changes in the past 2 days, using stress coat as my dechlorinator. Is there something I'm missing? Obviously the temps are fine (82-84F).

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Botia spp. loaches are known for sleeping on their sides and looking pretty much dead during their slumber...

But you may need to up the aeration on your tanks if your fish are breathing heavily...it sounds like they're not getting enough O2 for their taste...

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Thanks Chili, I have seen them sleep in some strange spots, but this morning I came out and saw (what I think was) the same Botia tangled in some plants sideways, but still breathing. I moved him around a bit and he hobbled away. When I went to catch him to move him to the sick tank he just laid there and I literally had to scoop him up from the bottom.

I did just increase the aeration on the tank (was hoping that's all it was). This tanks been on a medium aeration setting (which isn't much since I just use the aerator built into the Millenium filter) since I got it 2 months ago. I would suspect that, by now, if O2 were the issue I'd seen this more times... but, as you suggested, I'm willing to try anything.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
The lady at my LFS recommended adding a few capfuls of pharmacy hydrogen peroxide (the kind you clean cuts with, not bleach your hair) when my power went out about 6 months back. Apparently this adds oxygen to the tank in emergencies (but isn't good for long term). I'm not sure how much you should add to a 15 gallon though, she had recommended about 5 capfuls for my 90 gallon. I think an airstone may be a better idea since your fish is ill, though.

Incidentally, if anyone else has experience using this technique I'm interested if you have more info on it.

I just saw after I posted you have increased aeration with your filter setting, I hope this helps! Does your fish have any other symptoms?

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Recent changes/possible causes:

*Purchased a new, goodyear rubber garden hose for draining/filling the tank (was using a non-rubber garden hos prior to this, but it kinked too much). Was thinking there may be some chemicals from the hose getting involved.

*Filter changed, every month. This would be the second filter change since I got this tank, and the tank cycled within its first 30 days. The pump/filter has a biological screen that's supposed to absorb filter biologics loss and water changes, but maybe changing the water and filter at the same time has but a stress on my biological system?

*Started adding aquarium salt again after several weeks of not using it. In the past this seemed to make little difference as I only add a small amount (4 tablespoons for 30g, versus the recommended 6).

*My LFS had a round of sick Plecos at about the time I acquired mine. Said it was a stomache parasite, but that was weeks ago and my Pleco seems to be fine (though slightly stressed now like the rest). I do have the good tank buddies parasite treatment, but hesitate to combat this with chemicals until I know for sure that's the cause.

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by Dahlia
Does your fish have any other symptoms?
The coloration of a few (the Barbs, tetra, and botia) is faded. This usually indicates they're stressed.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Clown loaches are scaleless fish and are supposed to be more sensitive to salt. This may be your problem. Hopefully someone with more info about loaches can post about this, but you might try loaches online or search for it on google.

Here's one site:
clown loaches

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
Well, a fish that wasn't showing any signs of sickness, my Rosey barb, died this morning (and rather quickly as one minute it was swimming around, the next dead).

The Botia is hanging in there in the sick tank. Unless I can narrow this down I'm going to panic and start throwing chemicals into these tanks as I'm starting to suspect a parasite.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Have you done a water test? I would hold off on the arsenal of chemicals until you know what you are treating, as this could just make it worse if you guess wrong. Also, be sure that whatever you use is loach safe. If you haven't done so already, spend a lot of time watching them close up for a bit. Wait long enough while sitting still that they don't even realize you are there. You might catch them at something that clues you in (such as an aggressive fish you were unaware of).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store